PDA

View Full Version : Socket Chisel Handle Source

Mike Deschler
07-14-2005, 8:39 PM
I am getting around finally to begin restoring a bunch of socket chisels which were my dads and are missing their handles. Since I don't have a lathe, I was hoping someone knew of a source for the hardwood handles. so far, Google has only come up with some English handles from Traditional Woodworker, are there any others out there woth looking at?

Steve Wargo
07-14-2005, 8:57 PM
You can make octogonal handles without a lathe. Very comfortable, and they don't roll off the bench

Jerry Palmer
07-15-2005, 8:47 AM
There's some folks who come wandering in and out of here, as well as over at woodnet who might, for a reasonable price, be willing to turn some for you.

Tom LaRussa
07-15-2005, 11:44 PM
I am getting around finally to begin restoring a bunch of socket chisels which were my dads and are missing their handles. Since I don't have a lathe, I was hoping someone knew of a source for the hardwood handles. so far, Google has only come up with some English handles from Traditional Woodworker, are there any others out there woth looking at?

Mike,

Here are three sources:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?page=30020&category=1,41504&ccurrency=2&sid=

http://www.thebestthings.com/newtools/chisel_handles.htm

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/default.php?cPath=39_351

Of the tree, only the last sells socket-type handles.

Looking at them just now I think I used to have a few of the Traditional Woodworker units. I acquired three or four of them -- or of something that looks an awful lot like them -- in a large lot of chisels on eBay. If those are the ones, then I can't say I was too impressed. The dark patch on the butt end of the handle -- which looks like a leather strike ring in the picture on their website -- is really just a patch of wood that has been either scorched or dyed to look that way. :(

HTH,

Tom

Bob Smalser
07-15-2005, 11:56 PM
At the high price you'll pay for those rare replacement handles, that dough and a little more would be better spent on a used lathe.

Older, used Delta 46's are decent starter lathes and are common as mud nation wide. The seller is likely to throw in the tools, too. $250 and up.

Dan Clermont in Burnaby
07-16-2005, 3:02 AM
I agree with Bob.

Every chisel is different.

I use Berg chisels and own a Very nice set of sockets which I made and the labelled handles which I have stored.

I don;t have a lathe but know where to buy beer and pizza. My friend has a lathe. I go to his house and he teaches me how to turn. We have fun and in the end I get to use his lathe.

When he wants to sharpen tools or play with hand tools the party is at my place.

Dan Clermont

Scott Raasch
07-16-2005, 6:52 AM
I like Dan's solution. Although my friend doesn't live close enough for beer and pizza, he did do these for me. I sent him some rosewood and brazilian cherry. These are by far the best chisel handles I have. I just wish I had sent him a couple better chisels to put those nice handles on.

http://www.woodworking.com/dcforum/User_files/42d15d590e88d5ae.jpg

Mike Deschler
07-16-2005, 9:36 AM
At the high price you'll pay for those rare replacement handles, that dough and a little more would be better spent on a used lathe.

Older, used Delta 46's are decent starter lathes and are common as mud nation wide. The seller is likely to throw in the tools, too. $250 and up.

Bob:

You got me thinking that if I finally finish up the stair project for mama, a lathe would be a good reward amongst other things, right?

What is mud nation wide? I've never heard that one before.

One other quick question--- How are the Stanley Everlasting steel end caps attached to the chisel body? I've never seen a sectioned drawing to describe the method.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike Deschler
07-16-2005, 9:43 AM
Very nice Scott!!! I just had an inspirational vision and it seems that a lathe may be in my near future. Treat your friend well, they are hard to find!!

Mike

lowell holmes
08-25-2015, 5:09 AM
Uhh.. Lie Nielsen. They sell handles.

I've made my own handles out of oak.
I made them with spoke shaves and hand planes.

Malcolm Schweizer
08-25-2015, 10:21 AM
Uhh.. Lie Nielsen. They sell handles.

I've made my own handles out of oak.
I made them with spoke shaves and hand planes.

Their handles will not fit older Stanley and similar chisels and vise_versa.

peter Joseph
08-25-2015, 10:31 AM
I was in the same spot as you years ago and bought the excelsior lathe from Rockler for 199$. Set of turning tools from the bay or Penn state and you're in business. Mini lathe is great for turning handles, pens, etc. I've even turned a few hollow forms on it.

Tom Stenzel
08-25-2015, 11:19 AM
I've seen some old threads pulled up but... 10 years! I think this sets a record!:)

I found a Union Hardware socket chisel in someone's trash and needs a handle. No lathe, plan to carve and rasp it out. One of these days!

-Tom

Dave Anderson NH
08-25-2015, 12:31 PM
As is often the case with revived older threads, it is a spammer/shill selling something. In this case the reviver and person posting for the first time was selling tool handles and linked to a website. This is not an uncommon occurrence and the post was deleted, a warning issued, and we move on from there. A repeat of the incident for a second time and that person gets permanently banned and their IP address blocked. Most of the time our members and contributors don't see those posts before they are removed. We depend heavily on you folks to alert us to this type of thing by reporting the post.

Ray Selinger
08-26-2015, 12:16 PM
Hardware stores use to sell socket handle, I know because I have one that's labeled Cluthe' ,Canucks know that name, another couple that are identical , one was loose in a tool chest I bought, the other on a file ? he worked hard to do that.

David Spurr
08-26-2015, 12:24 PM
That's pretty funny, I didn't even notice the date.

Scott Mikal
08-26-2015, 9:37 PM
So I have a box of unused NOS socket chisel handles that are at least 40 years old. I can't remember if they are Stanley or not, but they look exactly like original 720 style handles. Leather washers in perfect condition... I even had the original box up until a few years ago and foolishly tossed it. I'm pretty sure they are made of hickory. They are buried somewhere in my shop at school. Must be fourteen or so handles, maybe more. I've never sold anything over Sawmill, so I don't know if there are rules.

Scott

Jim Koepke
08-26-2015, 10:17 PM
Scott,

Towards the top of the list of posts is one called "Neanderthal Sticky Threads." It has a post about selling items on Sawmill Creek.

jtk

Dave Anderson NH
08-27-2015, 12:24 PM
Scott- Selling items on Sawmill Creek is a privilege reserved for Contributors. As a new member you can get answers to a lot of your questions about what is allowed and prohibited by reading the Terms of Service. You can find these in the blue band at the bottom right hand side of every page of Sawmill Creek. Welcome to the Creek.

ken seale
08-27-2015, 1:25 PM
Woodnet also has a "tool for sale" section and there is no fee needed.

Adam Cruea
09-02-2015, 6:37 PM
A repeat of the incident for a second time and that person gets permanently banned and their IP address blocked.

A simple release/renew of an IP and your IP block is nullified, possibly blocking another legitimate user.

Just a thought. . .

Scott Mikal
09-08-2015, 1:35 AM
Whoa, apparently I was outta line. Forgive me guys.