PDA

View Full Version : My new workbench

Dave Pugh
11-07-2014, 7:02 PM
I needed a new workbench as the one I was working on was really just an old kitchen counter and cabinets. This is my very first workbench that I built, first project of this size, and first time using all handtools for the project. Well, I did use my drill press to drill the holes that the vise screw goes through for the leg vise. I did choose the Roubo design and had fun building it. Instead of using a thick slab for the top, I went with gluing boards face to face. The legs are douglas fir 4x4, bottom support boards are 2x6, and the top is made from 1x4 pine from the local big orange store. The top is 21 inches wide, 3.5 inches thick, and 6 feet long. Tenons cut by hand with saws and chisels, mortises done with brace and auger bits and chisels, and the bench top flatten by hand planes. Also the board used to make the leg vise is hickory, and thankfully it was already pretty flat and surfaced. I was just going to do some clean up on it, but I quickly learned that dry hickory is not exactly an easy wood to work with by hand. The vise handles are 1 inch diameter cherry rods, and I turned the knobs on them from cherry. For the leg vise, I am using a parallel guide board at the bottom.

Here is a good photo of the top of the bench right before I finished flattening it.
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i214/DavidPugh/IMG_20141025_133101_162_zps0f832829.jpg

The completed bench with vises attached and vise handles with knobs, and with dog holes drilled into the top
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i214/DavidPugh/bench_zps217fb43b.jpg

Frederick Skelly
11-07-2014, 8:33 PM
I cant view your pics for some reason, but congrats on finishing what sounds like a very nice bench Dave. Mine is much like what you describe, including the doug fir legs. I love mine and get a lot of use out of her. Bet you will too. Enjoy!

Jim Matthews
11-07-2014, 9:52 PM
Epic.

Banging out those Roubo mortises, left handed was an heroic endeavor.
You've pointed out why no one else could string Ulysses' bow.

Kudos

Will Boulware
11-07-2014, 11:51 PM
Nice work! Vise is on the wrong side, though. :D

In all seriousness, hope you get years of use out of it. Also, we'll need pictures of the first project that comes off of it.

Don Rogers
11-08-2014, 7:37 AM
Very nice job. I know you are already enjoying it and I hope it servers you well over the years.

I finished ( except for a few small details) my new and first workbench about 3 weeks ago and have been using it ever since. Don't know how I ever got along without it.

As some say, "it is the most important tool in the shop". You have probably already discovered that.

Good luck and enjoy!

Harold Burrell
11-08-2014, 11:28 AM
Oh, man...NICE JOB!

I definitely know the joy/pain of building a roubo. I just finished mine a couple of months ago and I love using it. I know you will enjoy yours. :D

Chris Hachet
11-08-2014, 12:34 PM
Very inspiring.

Rob Luter
11-08-2014, 9:38 PM
Well done. The left handed thing is freaking me out a little, but I'll be ok. :D

Dave Pugh
11-09-2014, 8:59 AM
Thanks everyone. As far as the placement of the leg vise, it is on the right side, right as in the direction and meaning correct in this case. ;-) I am a lefty woodworker.

Christopher Charles
11-09-2014, 10:51 AM
Looks great, enjoy! I've been working on mine for about a year (less time than it took to make...) and have yet to find it lacking. Will look forward to seeing the first projects.

Cheers,
C