PDA

View Full Version : Stanley 60 1/2 low angle block plane

Dave Zellers
11-07-2014, 5:41 PM
I have 2 of these and I'm looking for a quality replacement iron. The Stanley iron I just bought is junk.

Is there a source for a really good replacement iron for this plane?

Tom M King
11-07-2014, 7:10 PM
I bought a Hock 01 iron for one of mine, and it works fine, but the square corners are a pain in the palm for a block plane. Notice the slots in the back to get the right one. There are a couple of different slot geometries.

Mike Henderson
11-07-2014, 7:14 PM
The best is the LV powdered metal one - PM-V11.

Mike

Dave Zellers
11-07-2014, 7:37 PM
Oh geeze. I have been on Lee Valley's site looking at their low angle block plane. I didn't know they make replacement blades.

Thanks, that will do it!

Mike Henderson
11-07-2014, 8:29 PM
I'll just add a comment. For block planes, the body of the plane is much less important than the blade and how well you sharpen the blade. I've taken old block planes of all types and with a new, high quality iron, they all seem to work well. The important thing is how well the body fits your hand.

This is not to say that the body is completely unimportant, but if it's whole (no breaks or cracks), flat on the bottom, and made by a reasonable company, a modern blade can do wonders. It's also good to get one where you can adjust the mouth, like you can on the 60 1/2, especially if you only have one block plane.

My favorite is the Stanley 65 with the knuckle joint lever cap and the LV iron. It just fits my hand very well.

Mike

[Here's a link to the LV PM-V11 blades (http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=70671&cat=1,41182,43698&ap=1).]

Dave Zellers
11-07-2014, 9:15 PM
For block planes, the body of the plane is much less important than the blade and how well you sharpen the blade.
Great to know. I really didn't want to spend $165 on a new low angle plane. Two new irons will cost around $80 and I'll have 2 good planes again.

Jack Lemley
11-07-2014, 11:43 PM
+1 on the Lee Valley PM-V11 blade also they free shipping going on right now!

Great to know. I really didn't want to spend $165 on a new low angle plane. Two new irons will cost around $80 and I'll have 2 good planes again.

Dave Zellers
11-12-2014, 8:34 PM
Boy, I'm not sure I agree with moving this thread out of General Woodworking, but anyway ...

Just got my irons tonight. Wow what a difference. Twice as thick as the Stanley and 8 slots vs 3 making it way more useable throughout it's life. Not cheap, but I doubt I'll ever need to buy another iron for either of my block planes- this thing has mucho sharpenings in it. I put one in and tried it right away and just as they say, it comes sharp, but I can't wait to take it to the WorkSharp tomorrow. I have a 3/4" Lee Valley shoulder plane with an A2 iron so I know what to expect. That was my first "I can't believe I'm about to spend almost $200 on a plane!" purchase. I didn't even hesitate to buy these irons because of that professional life changing experience.

It's too funny that I was on Lee Valley looking at block planes when I posted my question re replacement irons and it was right there next to me the whole time. Who Knew?

Creekers knew. Thanks Mike.

Now I'm thinking the best course of action for me is to set up one block plane with the Lee Valley iron and one with a Stanley iron (I have 3) and always have a sharp iron in reserve for both planes. I often have to plane plywood which just destroys an edge.

All of a sudden, I'm feeling special. :D

Chris Hachet
11-13-2014, 8:18 AM
Boy, I'm not sure I agree with moving this thread out of General Woodworking, but anyway ...

Just got my irons tonight. Wow what a difference. Twice as thick as the Stanley and 8 slots vs 3 making it way more useable throughout it's life. Not cheap, but I doubt I'll ever need to buy another iron for either of my block planes- this thing has mucho sharpenings in it. I put one in and tried it right away and just as they say, it comes sharp, but I can't wait to take it to the WorkSharp tomorrow. I have a 3/4" Lee Valley shoulder plane with an A2 iron so I know what to expect. That was my first "I can't believe I'm about to spend almost $200 on a plane!" purchase. I didn't even hesitate to buy these irons because of that professional life changing experience.

It's too funny that I was on Lee Valley looking at block planes when I posted my question re replacement irons and it was right there next to me the whole time. Who Knew?

Creekers knew. Thanks Mike.

Now I'm thinking the best course of action for me is to set up one block plane with the Lee Valley iron and one with a Stanley iron (I have 3) and always have a sharp iron in reserve for both planes. I often have to plane plywood which just destroys an edge.

All of a sudden, I'm feeling special. :D

I have 22 planes in my shop. They range from a WW2 Stanely #4 that I Use for rough work (think pressure treated wood, mailbox posts, reclaiming barn wood) to some really high end stuff I use only occasionally for really fine work. Having multiple planes and having them set up just the way you want them, when you want them will make your life in the shop infinitely easier IMHO.

The same can be said for chisels....I have too many of them, but I have them set up for the types of work i do. Having the right tool and the ability to keep the momentum up and keep on working is invaluable IMHO!