PDA

View Full Version : Plexiglass Sources

DOUG ANGEL
11-07-2014, 10:18 AM
Does anyone have a good source for smaller plexiglass sheets? I need 36"x 48" at maximum and 1/8" or possibly slightly thicker. Companies in San Antonio will sell 4x8 sheets, but I don't have the equipment to process them to practical sizes (no table saw, and no room for one). I use it to make small display cases for homes.

Kent A Bathurst
11-07-2014, 10:47 AM
Check out McMaster-Carr. They have a big selection, many grades/types, many thicknesses, many sizes.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#cast-acrylic/=uhpzzo

Don Orr
11-07-2014, 10:51 AM
Big box stores carry it in my area. The blue one for sure-here anyway.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-07-2014, 11:09 AM
Home Depot carries it here locally in small sized sheets. I bought it there when I needed a small amount.

Lee Schierer
11-07-2014, 11:55 AM
The Borgs carry acrylic sheets in various sizes, but I don't believe they carry polycarbonate. Plexiglas was a trade name for acrylic many years ago. The patent has run out so several companies make acrylic. Lucite is the current trade name for Plexiglas.

DOUG ANGEL
11-07-2014, 12:29 PM
Thanks Ken, headed to HD right now.

Steve Peterson
11-07-2014, 4:30 PM
I believe both the orange store and the blue store have many choices. You can get real glass, plexiglas, acrylic, or lexan in many different sizes and thicknesses. They will even cut it for you.

Steve

Bill Orbine
11-07-2014, 5:04 PM
Does anyone have a good source for smaller plexiglass sheets? I need 36"x 48" at maximum and 1/8" or possibly slightly thicker. Companies in San Antonio will sell 4x8 sheets, but I don't have the equipment to process them to practical sizes (no table saw, and no room for one). I use it to make small display cases for homes.

If you have one nearby, your local glass shop will have the plexiglass and they'll accommodate you with the sizes you need.

Garth Almgren
11-08-2014, 1:28 PM
http://www.tapplastics.com/ will do custom sized acrylic and polycarbonate and mail them to you. It'd be cheaper if you go to them, but they're west-coast based so it'd be a bit of a drive from San Antonio. :)

Jim Becker
11-08-2014, 8:28 PM
Around here, the home centers have both Plexiglas and Lexan in sizes that are about what you mention...

Jerome Stanek
11-09-2014, 8:06 AM
nobody asked what color he wanted

DOUG ANGEL
11-09-2014, 11:45 AM
Thanks for your replies, went to Home Depot and got what I needed. I must have had brain fade not to think about going to a Big Box store! I did go to Hobby Lobby, but Nada. Hobby shops sure have changed. I used to buy sheet brass, plexiglass, plastic sheets for scratch built models and all the other raw materials for actual hobbyists, now not so mutch.

Larry Edgerton
11-11-2014, 7:14 AM
www.norvaplastics.com .......

Dan Masshardt
11-11-2014, 8:02 AM
Have you ever shared your display cases here? I'd like to see them.

DOUG ANGEL
11-11-2014, 11:49 AM
Have you ever shared your display cases here? I'd like to see them.
Love to, but computer not uploading pictures from my phone and camera out of batteries. I know, NO PICTURES and IT DIDN'T HAPPEN. So instead I'll try a description about how they are constructed. Displays are small usually about 12x16x16. I use hardwood for the top and bottom, route grooves for the back and sides and a double groove for the front sliding grooves. If everything fits well, no glue is necessary, but I do use super glue on the back and sides. Use slightly looser grooves for the front sliding doors. I designed this type of display when I worked in Saudi Arabia as an aircraft electrician. The only tools I had was a Dremel scroll saw, Dremel rotary tool and a few chisels. It's simple to build and materials were available. Hope that helps a bit.

DOUG ANGEL
11-16-2014, 1:30 PM
First prototype, built in Saudi Arabia, when I was a Aviation Electrician working on a contract for the USAF modifying Royal Saudi Air Force F-15s from A models to RSAF C models. As you can imagine, tools and materials were hard to find. Pictured inside are my collection of sterling silver car models made in Saudi by a jewelry shop employee.