PDA

View Full Version : First lathe??

barry holman
11-07-2014, 8:26 AM
I am about ready to pull the trigger on this lathe. It would be my first. Does anyone have and negative or positive comments about it. It seems like a good deal to me.

http:// washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/tls/4748549417.html

Bruce Pratt
11-07-2014, 9:36 AM
For starters....
1. Check to see if the headstock and tailstock are MT2 (or possibly MT1) if not, you will have to get adaptors to use modern MT2 accessories.

2. Check to see if headstock and tailstock are in alignment (do the points of the spur drive and live/dead center meet?)

3. Find out the diameter and TPI of the spindle. If it is not one of the current common combinations, e.g, 3/4"/16, 1"/8, 11/4"/8, again you will need to get adaptor to use modern 4 jaw chucks.

Pat Scott
11-08-2014, 10:05 AM
My personal opinion? Save your money. For a first lathe I would suggest something a little newer unless you just really dig those old machines. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but on a lot of those old lathes you have to use a wrench to loosen a bolt in order to move the banjo or tailstock. What a pain, that would get old real fast. The inconvenience alone is enough for me to say keep looking. I say at least look for something that has quick release levers.

Frank Hasty
11-09-2014, 10:58 PM
Yep, I have a 50's?? vintage Sears that works fine since I replaced bearings, installed a larger motor and added a Grizzly chuck. If you are handy with tools and don't mind the effort it might be a good "starter" for you. The previous comment re bolts and adjustments is correct, they take more time than a modern variable speed lathe with modern adjustments. That was not a disadvantage for me as a beginner. You might want to check out shipping costs etc. You are getting on up there money wise for a real antique. Think about it.

Marvin Hasenak
11-10-2014, 12:37 AM
I can't tell which one you are looking at, but I prefer old iron, I have a 1970 Delta, it tales the 1-8TPI and the 2MT accessories. Good enough for spindle work and up to 10 inch bowls and platters, actually rated fro 11 inches, but I like a little safety factor. I spent about a $200 on an industrial sewing machine motor, that goes from zero to 3000RPM and if you want it will also back up for you using reverse. If that lathe has 2MT and 1-8TPI, and you realize it's limits, and your wants fit within those limits then go for it.

Alan Gan
11-10-2014, 9:29 PM
No expert here but as a personal opinion, I would pass on that one. My guess that within a few weeks you will want something better and be out $130.. Not a big fan of HF but you could get their cast Iron model , new and a pretty decent 1st. I think about $280.00 with a coupon or sale.

Or wait it out and keep checking CL for a good Jet to come up.

There are so many accessories and you do not want to spend additional money on this old Lathe

barry holman
12-03-2014, 9:52 PM
I listened to everyone's advice and picked up a mint Delta 46-541s off craigslist. A little more money but perfect condition, made in 85 and came with a pile of tooling. Thanks everybody!