PDA

View Full Version : 6" blast gates

William C Rogers
11-07-2014, 7:06 AM
Bought all the 6" snap lock duct yesterday. Initally I thought I would make blast gates, however I can't seem to find a good method that connects to metal duct. Plus I don't have the scrap materials most use. My best choice is the alum gates from Lee Valley at $18 (free shipping). My question is how are they connected to the metal duct? Does the metal duct fit inside or over the gate? Of do I need to connect with hose?

Jim Andrew
11-07-2014, 8:39 AM
My metal blast gates are made of cast aluminum, and they have a flange which fits inside the 6" pipe. I used screws to attach the pipe to the blast gates the first time, 2nd time used pop rivets. Used 3 to attach around pipe to make the joint solid. Some fit the pipe kindof loose, so used caulk to seal on the outside for the last step.

Mike Heidrick
11-07-2014, 8:43 AM
kencraft blast gates fit inside spiral pipe. Alum rivits is how I connect mine. You don't have either of those but just how my metal blast connect.

William C Rogers
11-07-2014, 9:22 AM
Thanks, I went ahead and ordered them. Just a note, I ordered them at $18 each, about an hour later they are $19.20 each. I will be glad when I am done with all the dust collection and everything else setting up this new shop and can do some actual woodworking. I have enough to do before the gates arrive.

Michael W. Clark
11-07-2014, 10:38 PM
If you buy anymore, look at Blast Gate Company. A 6"gate is about $12.

eugene thomas
11-07-2014, 10:54 PM
I was going to plug blast gate company also, had good luck with them in my never ending dust collector tweaks.

Rick Fisher
11-08-2014, 1:52 AM
I bought my 6" Blast gates from Lee Valley. Self cleaning, good quality.

William C Rogers
11-08-2014, 5:47 AM
I bought my 6" Blast gates from Lee Valley. Self cleaning, good quality.

I didn't shop around, went with Lee Valley because I figured they would be good quality. The price is still $18 as I looked at the Canadian price the second time (bonehead). I have been messing with this new house construction and new workshop for 18 months now and just want to do some woodworking. Getting all this installed and building my bathroom walls I'm still 2-3 weeks away. I did turn on my in-floor heat for the first time and that is really nice. Once I do get there this shop will be a lot better, but I still have way too much stuff. I'll post some pictures someday.

Ed McEowen
11-09-2014, 6:14 PM
I got my self-cleaning blast gates from the BlastGate Company and connected them to 26 gauge HVAC duct with silicone caulk (no other fasteners). The only potential problem is getting them loose if I need to --- plan well.