PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Grizzly bandsaw

Jack Jackson
11-06-2014, 11:06 PM
So I've got an opportunity to buy a Grizzly 0640x bandsaw in the near future for a good price. I just wondered if anyone here had experience with this particular saw and had any general advice for me... anything to check before buying (it's set up but hasn't been used)... any disadvantages to this model... I noticed it has an inverter motor that is 3 phase but runs on 220v 1 phase power - anything I should know about that? I've already powered it up (didn't cut anything) and it sounded good and had very little vibration.
I will use it almost exclusively for woodworking - resawing and general bandsaw cuts. Basically I can probably get this for the same price as a much smaller machine so it's almost a no-brainer but I just wanted to see what you guys had to say about it...

Thanks

Jack

Curt Harms
11-07-2014, 8:28 AM
That saw appears at first glance to be kin of the G0513 family with a VFD (variable frequency drive) for speed control. VFDs need a 3 phase motor and work with single phase input. Is the price good enough to make this saw more attractive than the G0513X2? That appears to be the equivalent machine without the variable speed and electronic braking from the VFD. I'm not sure I've ever seen a down review of the G0513 Grizzly saw, they seem to be Grizzly gem.

Jack Jackson
11-07-2014, 12:07 PM
That's what I was thinking... and yeah, it's a good enough price to make it worth it, at least to me. Thanks for the input.