PDA

View Full Version : Finish nailer issue

Bob Cooper
11-06-2014, 7:19 PM
I have a small 16 gauge Porter cable finish nailer that's stopped working. I believe it's because the plunger won't pull all of the way back. Is this worth fixing or should I just throw it away and get a new nailer. If so, any recommendations on a reasonably priced finish nailer

I would attach a photo if I can figure out how from my iPhone

scott vroom
11-06-2014, 7:34 PM
I have a small 16 gauge Porter cable finish nailer that's stopped working. I believe it's because the plunger won't pull all of the way back. Is this worth fixing or should I just throw it away and get a new nailer. If so, any recommendations on a reasonably priced finish nailer

I would attach a photo if I can figure out how from my iPhone

Probably a dumb question, but have you checked to see if a nail is jammed? Not always easy to see.

Charles Lent
11-06-2014, 7:43 PM
Most likely you have a jammed nail, but O rings and seals can go bad too. Take it apart and look at the O rings and the seals. You can buy a rebuilding kit for about $15, or if the problem is just a torn O ring you can get almost any size from an industrial supplier or fork lift repair shop. Take the damaged one with you so they can match it. You will likely pay about $1.00 for the new one.

Charley

Bob Cooper
11-06-2014, 8:52 PM
no jammed nail. i can hold safety down with the front cover lifted and see the plunger only come back 25%, 50%, 100%, ...back up ...pretty random. There seems to be plenty of pressure on the downstroke but the piston just doesn't retract all the way. i've done the simple oiling, etc. but i haven't taken the thing apart.

There's 4 allenhead bolts on the top of the head and 4 on the bottom...suggestions on where to start before i just tear into this thing?

Peter Quinn
11-06-2014, 8:53 PM
Unless the piston were worn beyond repair, I'd think its probably worth rebuilding even if you buy the rebuild kit. A decent 16 ga gun ranges close to $200. If it stopped working while in use, definitely check the nail path for jams or slag, doesn't take much to get it stuck in the down position.

Justin Ludwig
11-06-2014, 8:57 PM
I always tear into things and try to fix them before dropping $$ on a new one. If I can't fix it, I learn something by tearing it apart. I'm at this very stage with my PC 6gal air compressor that won't turn off when pressure is reached. I can afford a new one, but that's half the fun.

Peter Quinn
11-06-2014, 9:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfiZwRoofdI

Here's a vid of a complete tear down, different gun but they are all build similarly, may give some direction.

Bob Cooper
11-06-2014, 11:50 PM
Ok. I'll break this thing further or fix it this weekend. Thanks all

Rich Engelhardt
11-07-2014, 8:29 AM
Which model number and type is it?

One of the model and type numbers can't be repaired/rebuilt and another cost more to rebuild than it costs to buy a reconditioned one - plus the lead time on the parts is like two weeks.
(IIRC, the FN250A is the one that costs something like $70 to rebuild and the parts take a long time to arrive vs a reconditioned new model can be had for $79)

BTW - is yours one of the oiled type or is it oiless?
If it's an oil type, when was the last time you oiled it?

Jim Andrew
11-07-2014, 8:50 AM
If you have to get a new one, my Hitachi guns have longer life than the others. They must use a better grade of O rings. Bought my first nail gun about 35 years ago, till I got a Hitachi, thought they needed to be worked on weekly. The framing guns are worst, the tiny brad nailers hold up better.

Bob Cooper
11-07-2014, 8:13 PM
FN250A. Yes I looked up the rebuild parts cost and it was something like 1/2 the price of a new one. I may still take it apart and see what's going on. Looking at one of the replacement parts forums it seems that the problem I'm seeing is pretty common.

The Hitachi gun is pretty affordable

Rich Engelhardt
11-08-2014, 4:07 AM
I'll have to check my gun's model number to be sure, but, I believe I have the FN250A also.
Did you keep yours well oiled all the time?

Bob Cooper
11-08-2014, 5:03 PM
I oiled it "regularly" but I only used it I occasionally. the gun in probably 15 years old. The trigger is no longer there -- just a button. It's been pretty reliable