PDA

View Full Version : Slipping into the dark side

Don Baer
07-14-2005, 7:29 PM
OK I'm not a Neander. The only have work I usualy do is some sanding and cutting Dove tails with my chisels but I have always been facinated with hand planes. Today I scored a Stanley Bailey No 5 and although it needs a lot of tender loving care I can refurbish it. The problem is it is missing one important element, the Blade (I hope thats what it's called).

Where can I get a new Blade for this beast and what is the approximate cost. I have seen some on Ebay for a fairly good price so am I thowing away my money refurbishing this one ?

John Miliunas
07-14-2005, 8:11 PM
Don, I'm pretty much a newbie Neander as well, but planes are my favorite hand tool. IMHO and, gathering what I have primarily from folks on this forum, I would first make certain your sole is perfectly flat, no stress cracks anywhere in the iron and all the usual stuff. Then, I'd go to either, Hock or Lie-Nielsen and get one of their irons (blade). They're thicker with better metal than what was on the plane to begin with. BIG difference in performance. Also, while you're tweaking that puppy, make sure you don't forget about the chipbreaker. Make sure it's flat on the end to match up with no voids to the iron. The #5 is a very useful plane, which some folks use as both, a Jack and a smoother. I prefer it as a Jack, but if the throat is tight, you can smooth with it, as well. I'm sure others better versed in old plane fettling will chime in here and probably give you more and better directions. I'm only offering what little I know on the subject. Most importantly, have fun with it and make room for lots more!!!:D :cool:

Mike Wenzloff
07-14-2005, 10:20 PM
Take a look at Hock and Lie-Nielsen's websites.

At LN, go to the Replacement Blade section for Recod and Stanley planes.

Personally I would get them from Ron Hock and in high carbon. They are quicker to sharpen and hold an edge just fine.

In either case, make sure to also get the cap iron to match. Even if yours has the original, the replacements are worth it.

Welcome to the Dark Side...

Mike

Larry Reimer
07-15-2005, 4:37 AM
Don, take a look at Spehar Tool Works web site, also.