PDA

View Full Version : Need a durable finish for a kitchen table

Jay Jolliffe
11-06-2014, 3:58 PM
It's a veneered table that's Mahogany with Maple inlay. I'm looking for something that won't yellow & is very durable. They're little kids in the house & they use it a lot for making projects on.....I'm leaning towards something called StreetShoe...If you can think of something else that will be durable & non-yellowing let me know.....

John TenEyck
11-06-2014, 4:08 PM
General Finishes Enduro Conversion Varnish: https://generalfinishes.com/professional-products/water-base-topcoats-and-sanding-sealers/conversion-varnish#.VFvjAxaw9iM

John

scott vroom
11-06-2014, 4:54 PM
+1 GF enduro conversion varnish.

Jay Jolliffe
11-06-2014, 5:04 PM
It looks like what I want but it says it is spray only....Has any one applied without a sprayer...

John TenEyck
11-06-2014, 6:57 PM
If you don't have spray equipment you might consider EnduroVar. Brushes nicely and is very durable to most chemicals. Not as good as the conversion varnish, but darned good.

John

scott vroom
11-06-2014, 7:29 PM
It looks what I want but it says it is spray only....Has any one applied without a sprayer...

I wouldn't brush the conversion varnish....it won't flow well.

Take a look at General Finishes High Performance Polyurethane...not as durable as Enduro Poly but gets good reviews for casework, furniture & cabinets. It can be brushed or sprayed. Worst case if it scuffs over time you can easily re-coat.

https://generalfinishes.com/sites/default/files/file_downloads/tech-data-ef-high-performance-poly-2014-07-28.pdf

John TenEyck
11-06-2014, 8:08 PM
Scott, as much as I like GF's HP Poly, it's easily attacked by many typical household chemicals, especially anything with ammonia in it. As such, I don't feel it's suitable for a table top. I've never tried adding the hardener to it, which is supposed to increase its chemical resistance. EnduroVar is so superior w/o the hardener I never felt the need to try. In the comparative testing I did, EnduroVar was better than solvent based poly.

John

scott vroom
11-06-2014, 8:19 PM
Scott, as much as I like GF's HP Poly, it's easily attacked by many typical household chemicals, especially anything with ammonia in it. As such, I don't feel it's suitable for a table top. I've never tried adding the hardener to it, which is supposed to increase its chemical resistance. EnduroVar is so superior w/o the hardener I never felt the need to try. In the comparative testing I did, EnduroVar was better than solvent based poly.

John

John, I don't disagree. However Jay indicated he doesn't want yellowing and EnduroVar is amber right out of the can. He doesn't have spray equipment so not sure what good options he has, at least with GF products.

Enduro Clear Poly has the desired chemical resistance and is more durable than HP Poly, but it's not spec'd for brushing. Having said that, I've brushed is on small areas with good results. If thinned 5-8% it may be a good brush on alternative for a table top. I'm just not familiar with products beyond GF, perhaps there is a superior brush on clear coat in another brand suitable for table tops.

John TenEyck
11-06-2014, 9:31 PM
Scott, I know people say EnduroVar is amber, but it doesn't look that way to me, either right after application or months down the road. Maybe it's just me.

John

scott vroom
11-07-2014, 10:49 AM
Scott, I know people say EnduroVar is amber, but it doesn't look that way to me, either right after application or months down the road. Maybe it's just me.

John

Hard to tell from the pic. I've experimented using Enduro-Var and Enduro Clear Ploy side by side on maple and the Enduro-Var is definitely a warmer tone while the Enduro Clear Poly is gin-clear.

Jay, Endur-Var is available in pint cans....you might want to give it a try to see if the tone works for you.

Jay Jolliffe
11-07-2014, 4:45 PM
I ordered a qt of each & I'll try it on the back of the table top to see what works best...