PDA

View Full Version : table saw choice

Jon Nuckles
11-06-2014, 3:56 PM
I have been sharing a shop with another woodworker for the last 5+ years. He has now moved to the suburbs and is going to do his woodworking in his garage. I need to replace the tools he will be taking with him, including his table saw. I want a good cabinet saw with a riving knife, but I don't feel the need for flesh-sensing technology. I do want good dust collection, and will likely get a blade cover with a dust port. I am leaning toward the Grizzly G0691 or G1023RLX, both of which are 3HP saws and are currently $1675 shipped with 52" rails.

Does anyone have any reason to choose one over the other?
Any experience on dust collection with either one?
Any recommendations on a blade cover with dust collection?
How is the Grizzly fence, and are any aftermarket fences an option?
Any other saw I should be looking at given the above criteria? (I have the space for a slider, but don't know about the budget. My shop has only one 220V circuit on a 30 amp breaker to run any tool and my dust collector, and I would not be able to get my landlord to improve that situation. Used tool bargains are rare in Chicago; when they are offered they go quickly, and I need to get back up and running soon.)

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer!

Jesse Busenitz
11-06-2014, 5:07 PM
I don't have any suggestions but I was just looking at both those saws myself, and was wondering the same thing.

Phil Barrett
11-06-2014, 5:29 PM
I have been sharing a shop with another woodworker for the last 5+ years. He has now moved to the suburbs and is going to do his woodworking in his garage. I need to replace the tools he will be taking with him, including his table saw. I want a good cabinet saw with a riving knife, but I don't feel the need for flesh-sensing technology. I do want good dust collection, and will likely get a blade cover with a dust port. I am leaning toward the Grizzly G0691 or G1023RLX, both of which are 3HP saws and are currently $1675 shipped with 52" rails.

Does anyone have any reason to choose one over the other?
Any experience on dust collection with either one?
Any recommendations on a blade cover with dust collection?
How is the Grizzly fence, and are any aftermarket fences an option?
Any other saw I should be looking at given the above criteria? (I have the space for a slider, but don't know about the budget. My shop has only one 220V circuit on a 30 amp breaker to run any tool and my dust collector, and I would not be able to get my landlord to improve that situation. Used tool bargains are rare in Chicago; when they are offered they go quickly, and I need to get back up and running soon.)

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer!

I went through the exact same process 2 months ago - 1023 vs 690. I wound up getting the 1023rlw though my decision process was not exact. I thought the 1023 would have better dust collection but am not so sure now. The 1023 shroud/blade cover only has a 2.5" hose running down to the 4" port. I have no way to compare them side by side so I think DC is likely to be a wash. DC with the 1023 is ok, but not great. The 1023 was a little cheaper in the most apple to apples comparison. Overall, I am way happy with the saw.

Lots of aftermarket fences but I really like the shopfox fence that shipped with my saw. Move it to, say, 6". Cut some wood, measure and, Gasp, it's 6" on the money. Very happy with that fence. Maybe I'd consider an incra fence but I don't think a Bessie would be much of an improvement.

By the way, because of the way the bundle the different options, be prepared for the various instructions being a little contradictory.

Also, I got the recommend shopfox mobile base - good call. Best mobile base I have (and I have 5 different ones).

The one place where you might want to upgrade is the miter gauge. It's ok, but just ok. I have an incra 1000 that I bought used and it rocks. If I was buying new, I'd get the 1000HD.

Last bit of advice - if you get it delivered, get in contact with the delivery guys the minute it hits their warehouse. I didn't and they held it for 4 days and a weekend. Squeaky wheel time.

Jon Nuckles
11-06-2014, 5:37 PM
Phil,
Thanks for the input. The 1023 was cheaper when I looked at them a few months ago, but Grizzly has actually reduced the price on the 691 by $70 since then. Now that the time to buy has arrived, not even cost can guide my choice! I hear you on the delivery. They use UPS Ground here and the last tool delivery I had through that service was a nightmare.
Jon

Myk Rian
11-06-2014, 6:18 PM
I have a Steel City Hybrid, and love it.

Cary Falk
11-06-2014, 8:41 PM
Start reading. :D
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/search.php?searchid=2450717

This one has some of the differences.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?186018-Table-saw-upgrade&highlight=1023+690

This is my review of the 1023. I would buy it again in a heartbeat.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?147080-My-G1023RL-review&highlight=1023+690

Prashun Patel
11-06-2014, 9:17 PM
Check the motor specs on the two saws. Are they the same?

Phil Barrett
11-06-2014, 11:11 PM
Good luck, Jon. Let us know what you decide. Either way, you'll have a saw that will last you a long time.

BTW, UPS ground for me too. I live about 80 miles from the Washington store but chose delivery because i didn't want to deal with a 500+ lb package. So what does the delivery guy say to me? - Can I just put it in your pickup? I said, No, you're going to put it in my shop. Sheesh, what crappy service. next time, I'm just renting a lift gate truck and a pallet jack.

David Hendricks
11-06-2014, 11:55 PM
I vote this: http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-W1819-10-Inch-Riving/dp/B004IYJ9Y2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415335996&sr=8-1&keywords=shop+fox+table+saw
I simply like the shop fox look vs the grizzly, both are made by grizzly.

david minnery
11-07-2014, 12:38 AM
I've had the 1023 with the router table extension for about 3 years. It's a good saw, but dust collection is poor.

Jim Andrew
11-07-2014, 8:54 AM
The Christmas sale is on now, check it out.

Chad Burkhart
11-07-2014, 9:59 AM
The 1023RL is on sale now for $1195. Buy that and get the extended rails for $175 and build your own extension. It comes out to $1370 before shipping compared to $1525 before shipping with long rails. That way you get the bonus of getting both cast iron wings, a cheaper price, and may be able to sell the short rails for a small amount.

Chad

P.S. Shipping cost the same either way.

Mike Ontko
11-07-2014, 10:19 AM
You were also asking about recommendations for a blade cover with dust collection. There've been a few posts on SMC identifying the Shark Guard (http://thesharkguard.com/) as a viable option. I have an older contractors model Grizzly table saw (1022ZF w/2hp motor) that I've fitted with an undermount dust port, and am considering this as the next add-on.

Jon Nuckles
11-07-2014, 12:31 PM
Thanks to all who responded so far.

Myk: I have been using a hybrid (DeWalt) for the last 5+ years and think I want to spend for a cabinet saw for the future, even though my complaints about the DeWalt are probably not related to its being a hybrid.

Cary: Thanks for doing the search for me:). All good reading and I am more well-informed, though I am still not sure what to buy.

Prashun: The specs on the motors are the same, though one is a Leeson and the other is not identified.

David H.: It looks like the Shop Fox with the 52" rails is about $300 more, so I'd need more than looks to sway my decision to go that way!

David M.: Dust collection is very important to me, so I appreciate your input. I don't know if the 691 is any better, but it might be enough for me to spend more and get a different brand.

Jim: I just went back to Grizzly's site and the prices haven't changed from what I quoted in my original post. Am I missing something or were you referring to a different option?

Chad: I am going to check that out right now. Good catch.

Jon Nuckles
11-07-2014, 12:32 PM
Mike,

Thanks for that link. I've bookmarked to check out after deciding on a saw. Looks like they can fit just about any tablesaw.

Keith Hankins
11-07-2014, 12:40 PM
I can only speak to the 1023. I had the slx with 7' rails for 10 years before selling. It's a great saw and if it's 3hp you don't need a 30A circuit only 20. It did everything i asked of it and it was moved across the country and back and still passed the nickle test when I sold it. The only reason I got rid of it was to upgrade to a 5hp sawstop ICS. Only knock is minor. DC is ok, but not the best. I ocasionally would have to open the door and rake some dust down to clean it out and I had a 2hp unit with a short run. Only a minor knock not a deal breaker by any means. The bessy style fence was great and never had a problem. Anyway can't speak to the other model, but a cabinet saw is the main tool in my shop and consider your choices and go for it. Take care and post pic's/review no matter the choice.

Good luck.

Jon Nuckles
11-07-2014, 1:18 PM
Thanks, Keith.

For anyone following the thread looking for similar information, here is what I learned by calling Grizzly technical service. The Leeson motor in the 691 is a little more difficult to work on than the motor in the 1023. The 1023 is made in Taiwan, while the 691 is made in China. The dust port comes out the side on the 691 and out the back on the 1023, but the rep said the dust collection is the same for both.

As Chad pointed out above, you can buy the 1023RL and the longer rails and legs (W2007) for $157 less (shipped) than the 1023RLX. Technical service confirmed that the 1023RL and the 1023RLX are identical other than the longer rails and extension table, so you can save $157 by making your own table. He did say you get both cast iron wings with either saw, though, so you don't get more by going this route other than the shorter rails should you ever need to reduce the footprint.

Earl McLain
11-07-2014, 1:44 PM
Jon--not to muddy the waters, but with Steel City's warehouse right out in Bolingbrook it may be worth a call to them. They regularly run ads for demo and/or refurb units on Chicago CL, and most of what they advertise there is aggressively priced. Their Industrial Fence gets good marks, and looks great, but i've not used one. The current CL ad lists only 2 contractor saws, but that doesn't mean they might not have a cabinet saw ready to roll. (side note--the CL ads usually reference a retail price which is usually 20% or so below what the street charges. Seems wierd to have a manufacturer understate retail!!)
earl

Chad Burkhart
11-07-2014, 7:16 PM
Thanks, Keith.

For anyone following the thread looking for similar information, here is what I learned by calling Grizzly technical service. The Leeson motor in the 691 is a little more difficult to work on than the motor in the 1023. The 1023 is made in Taiwan, while the 691 is made in China. The dust port comes out the side on the 691 and out the back on the 1023, but the rep said the dust collection is the same for both.

As Chad pointed out above, you can buy the 1023RL and the longer rails and legs (W2007) for $157 less (shipped) than the 1023RLX. Technical service confirmed that the 1023RL and the 1023RLX are identical other than the longer rails and extension table, so you can save $157 by making your own table. He did say you get both cast iron wings with either saw, though, so you don't get more by going this route other than the shorter rails should you ever need to reduce the footprint.

That is interesting to know. When I was at their Muncy showroom I saw that the 52" 1023 didn't have both cast iron wings. I asked and was told that on the long rail version you only get one wing and the other side is all extension table like was on display in the showroom. I hope the info I got was incorrect.

Jim Andrew
11-07-2014, 7:30 PM
Do you have a Grizzly Christmas 2014? It has the G1023 RL for 1195, the G0690 for 1375, and the G0691 with long rails and extension table for 1525. Shipping for the 1023rl is 99 and the others 150. If you want to get a crosscut saw as well, the G0700 sliding table saw is 2595, plus 150 shipping.

Jon Nuckles
11-13-2014, 5:43 PM
Made my decision and placed an order with Grizzly today.

I went with the G1023RL and ordered the W2007 package with the longer rails and legs. Thanks to Chad's suggestion, I saved some money over the G1023RLX, which is the same saw with the longer rails. I can easily make the extension table. This way I will also have the shorter rails if I ever need to fit it in a smaller shop. I talked to a different technical service rep today about some other questions, and he again confirmed that the RLX does include both cast iron wings. I had watched the comparison video on Grizzly's site and it clearly says the extension table replaces the right side cast iron wing when you buy the RLX instead of the RL, which is what Chad was told in Muncy. Maybe they have changed things recently? The saw is back ordered right now, but they have a "confirmed" date for receipt of more within a week.

I also ordered an 8" jointer. Wish they would offer a quantity discount! I am sure that a discount code will show up tomorrow, now that my order is in. Oh well, need to get the shop up and running again.

Thanks to all who offered advice!

Bill Orbine
11-13-2014, 7:43 PM
There's a video of each model type (690/1023) of saw on Grizzly's website. You ought to look at both.

Jon Nuckles
11-13-2014, 10:24 PM
I did watch both videos. Unfortunately, they deal separately with the 690 line and the 1023 line, but don't compare them to each other. In any case, I have made my choice.

david minnery
11-13-2014, 11:36 PM
Jon,
I don't think the dust collection would be much better on the 691. I also have an Excaliber blade guard that provide some dust collection. Still, overall it's poor. I've heard the dust collection on the sawstop is excellent.
Bear in mind, I have 1.5 hp collector with a dust deputy and cartridge.

glenn bradley
11-14-2014, 8:17 AM
Congrats Jon. I'm sure you will be pleased. I was looking at both a while back and they were so close that the only deciding factor that really mattered to me was which way the dust port faced :). Due to unexpected circumstance I ended up with a Saw Stop but, even though their extension table looks really cool I may still end up replacing or modifying it. I think you will be happy with an extension you make yourself. Enjoy!

Ted Reischl
11-14-2014, 8:49 AM
Think about adding a Wixey digital readout to the existing fence.

David J Wood
06-25-2015, 4:21 AM
Made my decision and placed an order with Grizzly today.

I went with the G1023RL and ordered the W2007 package with the longer rails and legs. Thanks to Chad's suggestion, I saved some money over the G1023RLX, which is the same saw with the longer rails. I can easily make the extension table. This way I will also have the shorter rails if I ever need to fit it in a smaller shop. I talked to a different technical service rep today about some other questions, and he again confirmed that the RLX does include both cast iron wings. I had watched the comparison video on Grizzly's site and it clearly says the extension table replaces the right side cast iron wing when you buy the RLX instead of the RL, which is what Chad was told in Muncy. Maybe they have changed things recently? The saw is back ordered right now, but they have a "confirmed" date for receipt of more within a week.

I also ordered an 8" jointer. Wish they would offer a quantity discount! I am sure that a discount code will show up tomorrow, now that my order is in. Oh well, need to get the shop up and running again.

Thanks to all who offered advice!

Hi Jon,
I am considering this same aproach of buying the 1023RL and then purchasing the W2007 so I end up with the right side cast iron table AND the longer 52" cut capacity. I may even install a Router table extension at the far right end so I really only need s small wood table to go between the right extension wing and this steel router table addition.
Did you encounter any issues when marrying these two separate parts to make your custom TS solution? (I doubt it, but wanted to make sure).