PDA

View Full Version : Is $33 Expensive?

Steve Aiken
07-14-2005, 6:37 PM
I've been building kitchen cabinets and installing a hinged door on a cabinet over the fridge that opens upward. Looked all over Canadian stores and websites looking for a gas shock that will allow this application to work. No go.

Soooo...I ordered the pair of shocks from Rockler for $33 USD.

Plus $20 USD to ship US Parcel Post (cheapest option).
Plus $14 exchange
Total $67 Canadian Dollars
Plus $5 border handling fee
Plus $11 canadian sales taxes

Grand total of $83 CAD for a $33 USD part.

Maybe I'm a cheap Scotsman, but that's expensive!!!:eek:

Steve

John Miliunas
07-14-2005, 7:12 PM
Steve, you're absolutely right! That's a LOT of $$$! Have you maybe considered something like this from Lee Valley?

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=40477&cat=3,43740,43742

Also, depending on how big the cabinet door is, I've even used Blum-type hinges, which have the 90° "stay" (kind of a catch) on a couple smaller ones in our bathroom and they stay up just fine. Probably smaller than what your intended use is, as these are false drawers below the sink, which open for a couple small storage areas. At any rate, I almost think those items from LV might work for your application.:) :cool:

Steve Aiken
07-14-2005, 7:16 PM
Yup. Lee Valley didn't have anything for my application. They have a "Hold-up Hinge". But it requires a face frame cabinet, which I don't have. So I've had to go with a separate hinge and gas shock to support the weight of the open door.

There are times it sucks to be Canadian.

Chris Padilla
07-14-2005, 7:34 PM

...expensive too.... :rolleyes:

Jamie Buxton
07-14-2005, 8:09 PM
Steve ---
If you look in your local auto-parts store, you'll probably find gas struts. They're used in cars to hold up tailgates, hoods, and the like. In the US, they're considerably less expensive than $83 Canadian. The trick is to figure out which strut to buy. Sometimes you can go to a manufacturer's web site to get specs about force and travel and such.

Jamie

Frank Pellow
07-14-2005, 8:39 PM

Not very many times.