PDA

View Full Version : Incra T-Rule

Phil Barrett
11-05-2014, 10:42 PM
This is probably in the "Duh!" category for many of you. I recently got an incra T-Rule 6" version that I picked up at Rockler because it was on sale. So today, I had to mark up 16 mortises, Now, in the past I've used a regular adjustable square - measuring each one and then, holding the pencil or knife to the right point, I would draw the lines. Tedious and error prone and seemed to take forever. With the T-Rule, I banged out 16 identical layouts in no time and was cutting the mortises in short order. Because of the precision of my marking, the mortises all came out really good. In the past, my inexact marking always led to less than perfect results. On to the tenons but those have always been the easy part for me.

I am really jazzed about the T-Rule. It rates as one of my best impulse buys ever.

glenn bradley
11-05-2014, 11:16 PM
I dug through all my junk drawers to find all my .05mm lead pencils when I got mine. Not as fine a line as a wheel gauge but, very handy. Repeated parallel lines? No problem. Repeated spacings? No problem.

Dave Zellers
11-05-2014, 11:32 PM
Be careful.

That was the first one I bought too. Now I have the protractor, bend rule and centering rule.

Earl Rumans
11-05-2014, 11:39 PM
Be careful.

That was the first one I bought too. Now I have the protractor, bend rule and centering rule.

Same here, the centering rule is great. I guess I'm just an Incra junkie now, seems like half my workshop is Incra stuff.

Michael Moscicki
11-06-2014, 12:45 AM
Likewise have the Incra 6" t-rule. Great ruler and much better than a combination square for marking mortises and tenons.

You could also get them in 3", 12", and 18" as well as metric.

Chris Parks
11-06-2014, 5:36 AM
I have both the 150mm & 300mm and rarely use the long one but the short one gets a lot of use. I have so far resisted the urge to buy more but sometimes resistance is futile and the will weakens, now where's that credit card..........

Phil Barrett
11-06-2014, 9:03 AM
I actually bought the 18" one a while ago and used it some but the little 6" one is 10X more useful to me. The longer one is too long.

Having gotten back into woodworking last year after a 5+ year hiatus, I am amazed at the innovation that has happened. There has been a real renaissance in the last 10 years or so. Track saws, marking, positioning, microadjustment, safety and so on. While some of this stuff has been around a while, the market has really blossomed.

@Dave, yeah, I hear you. The LS Positioner is on my xmas list. Incra is one of those companies making a difference. Proof positive that an American company can be innovative and successful in a world where "everything" is manufactured in China.

cody michael
11-06-2014, 9:37 AM
I have never heard of these before, watched the video and I sent my wife the link to get me one for christmas!

Bill Huber
11-06-2014, 10:46 AM
I have the Protractor, 6" T-Ruler and the Specialty Rule and love them all. I guess I use the T-Ruler the most but the protractor is really nice, beats any protractor I have ever had.

Frank Martin
11-06-2014, 8:34 PM
Along with the 4" Starrett double square, the 3" Incra T-rule are my favorite layout tools. I have the 6" and 12" Incra sets but don't use them as much as I thought I would.