PDA

View Full Version : Boiled vs Raw Linseed Oil

Pedro Reyes
07-14-2005, 5:13 PM
Hi,

I know the differences between these two, but I was wondering if the Raw kind is also at risk of spontaneous combustion. I think I heard Jim Kingshot say in one of his videos to use Raw linseed oil because the boiled kind could have the combustion problem.

I intend to use it for an oiling can, nothing more than some felt rolled and packed into a small can, soaked in oil, the idea is to run your planes and chisels over it to lubricate and protect against rust.

thanks.

Pedro

Peter Mc Mahon
07-14-2005, 5:58 PM
Hello Pedro. I am about the farthest thing from a finishing expert on this forum but I am pretty sure that both Boiled linseed oil and non boiled oil, will both dry. That is why people use them as finishes on wood. So I think what you would end up with is a dry crusty rag in a can. I would use vegetable oil or something like that. Peter

Jerry Palmer
07-15-2005, 8:59 AM
I guess there could be some difference between the combustability of the linseed oil with added driers and the non-boiled without driers, but as they both will dry, presumeably via a chemical reaction, I would not depend on the unboiled to not burn down my house.

The best rust preventative I've found in the Austin area is to use the tools regularly. Course mine are not all polished shiny and the patina of old has added somewhat of a blueing protection to them.

Bob Smalser
07-15-2005, 9:08 AM
They both spontaneously combust when dampened rags are left in a pile instead of hung out on a line to dry.

To opine that one does and the other doesn't seems dangerous to me.

Use raw linseed if you want ot to soak in deeper....that's what is generally used on the inside of boat hulls.

Jon Legalos
07-15-2005, 9:38 AM
Wouldn't a non drying oil be better?
When I use anything, I use paste wax. It works fine, but you do need to use it!

Most important, don't sweat on your stuff! I have some rusty chisels to remind me of that.

Jerry Palmer
07-15-2005, 9:45 AM
Wouldn't a non drying oil be better?
When I use anything, I use paste wax. It works fine, but you do need to use it!

Most important, don't sweat on your stuff! I have some rusty chisels to remind me of that.

I would think mineral oil would be the ticket as the vegetable oil will go rancid in the container after a while.

Don't sweat on your stuff? Right!:D Even with an AC right next to the bench, I have to keep a towel handy to wipe the sweat from my eyes.