PDA

View Full Version : which Lathe?

Jim Lankford
11-05-2014, 6:53 PM
Hi guys! Benn off and on here for years. I ve decided to try some wood turning. I m positve at my age I'll just be turning small things. small bowls, candle sticks and maybe some wine stoppers. I 'm looking at the Jet 1221VS and the Nova 1624. What is your advise? Any other suggestions are welcome!

Thanks, Jim

Thom Sturgill
11-05-2014, 7:14 PM
I started on the 1220VS and the 1221VS fixed a few problems users complained about like the location of the power switch. I have no problem recommending that lathe. While the head is fixed the bed is short enough that you can stand at the end for hollowing. the lathe is heavy enough that, with well rounded blanks, I never had to fasten it down but once and that was a 12" chip and dip bowl with several burls that made the piece impossible to balance.
I cannot address the Nova except to say that that line has its followers too. I do not think you will be unhappy with either until lathe envy sets in and you decide that you just have to have that bigger lathe:eek:

Jim Lankford
11-05-2014, 7:43 PM
Thanks Thom! But its also a budget thing! I need a chuck, turning tools, odds and ends! I need a bandsaw also. I have some old wood since my father was a building contractor from the 50's until the mid 80's! Easily have lumber worth more than a good bandsaw!

Dennis Ford
11-05-2014, 9:00 PM
I would prefer the Nova but for the small items you mentioned, the 1221VS is a better choice.

Jim Lankford
11-05-2014, 10:28 PM
Thanks, Dennis! That's the way I was leaning! I really don't think I'll go larger at my age! Damn, arthritus! LOL

Michael Mills
11-06-2014, 12:26 AM
I have the Nova 1624 and really like but I do agree it is probably more lathe than your stated purposes.

The Jet seems to get very good reviews. My only concern per the specs is it states 1 HP and also 6 amps. I don't think you can have 1 HP (108% effective motor) other than very short peak, achieves, max or other disclaimer. I do agree it should do everything you wish with no problems.

Two others are the

Rikon 70-220: From what I have heard, currently on sale at WC for $550. Very similar to the Jet in specs, weight, but does have an 8 amp motor for a full 1 hp.
http://rikontools.com/Product%20Sheets/70-220VSRproductsheet.pdf

Nova Comet2: I have one of these also and no problems (about two years).
Motor is 3/4 hp rather than a full hp but for small items is not a problem.
My main gig is the quill travel states 2.5 but because of the way it is made it is really about 1.5". It is fairly easy to mill the guide slot and inch longer; they may have corrected this since I purchased mine.
About 25-30 lbs lighter than the Jet or Rikon and 16" between centers rather than 20-21".
Currently from Tools Plus for $480 with shipping.
http://tools-plus.com/nova-lathes-46300.html
If you can still order it Tools Plus also has it with a free G3 chuck for $470 with shipping
ttp://tools-plus.com/nova-lathes-46300c.html (http://tools-plus.com/nova-lathes-46300c.html)
I like the Nova but at the $480 vs $550 for the Rikon, I would go with the Rikon for the weight, HP and distance between centers.
With the free G3 that gets the lathe down to about $350 (assume $125 for the chuck alone) now the decision gets different.

Thom Sturgill
11-06-2014, 6:15 AM
Since you are in Tryon, run over to Trade Street and talk to Packard. I know they do not have a formal show room, but they are local so no shipping and they are good people to deal with.

Jim Lankford
11-06-2014, 7:49 AM
Since you are in Tryon, run over to Trade Street and talk to Packard. I know they do not have a formal show room, but they are local so no shipping and they are good people to deal with.

Thanks for the input guys! Thom, I have spoken with Brad Packard last week! I was going to order the Jet from him, but he advised that Jet is having a 15% sale at the end of this month so....... I'm waiting for that and hopefully I'll get some more sales Black Friday and Cyber Monday! And you're right Brad Packard is a nice guy! He didn't have to tell me about the sale !