PDA

View Full Version : Solid wall to Railing on Stairway

Kevin Herber
07-14-2005, 2:59 PM
My stairway to the second floor has a solid wall about 40 inches tall An identical wall runs along the stairway opening on the second floor. I would like to open up the stairway by replacing the wall with a railing system similar to the one shown in the picture I lifted from Richard Wolf’s 7/7/05 thread (thanks Richard!) We want finished wood treads, no carpet.

Does anyone have suggestions for books on how to do this, or things to be especially careful for in a project like this? Perhaps a website or two. Can I order a ‘kit’ based on my measurements?

I have done a number of major home re-do projects but this has me a little apprehensive. I’ve not done stairs before and am concerned it could be bigger than I expect.

Richard Wolf
07-14-2005, 5:06 PM
I thought the railing looked familar. Let's see if I can help you. First, I will assume that the treads you have now are not oak, but pine? Changing treads is alittle difficult but very possible. You have one off two situations holding the treads in. The stringers maybe routed out and the treads are slide in and held with wedges, or you have a rough frame that all the pieces, treads, risers and stringers are attached to. If you have the second situation it is alot easier, your treads can be knocked or pryed up and new one made from oak and reinstalled. One caution, try to duplicate each tread individually because they may not be square.
If you have the frist situation its a little more difficult. Take a sawsall and crosscut the tread in the middle, be carefull if you have a finished ceiling under the stairs. You can now pull each half out of the stringer. To replace; cut a new tread the distance between the inside of the stringers plus the depth of one of the routered channels. Slide the new tread in, push down and try to slide it half way into the channel on the oppisite side. You should have enough room to reinstall the wedge from the opening above(start at the bottom). Use lots of PL.

Cutting down the sheetrock wall is easy, use a sawsall and cut it flush with the top of the stringer on the stair side. You can fill in the spaces between the studs with 2X4s and cap the new knee wall with oak or poplar if you will paint.

For the railing system, head to the local well supplied building supply,(not HD) and ask if they can get stair parts from L J Smith. Ask for their catolog. It contains a wealth of information that will get you inspired. Also Home Depot, in the stair and rail department has a small booklet entitled (I think) "Installing Railings Like a Pro. Some good info in there also. There is not alot in the way of books on installing railings, but Fine Homebuilding has some older articles in it.

Let me say this, that installing a railing is going to be one of the most intimidating things you will try but also one of the most rewarding. I know some of the information above may seem confussing now but if you decide to tackle this I am on line almost every night and will help you with anything that I can. I have been installing railings and building stairs for 18 years and that is all I do, this is not a sideline. If you would rather PM me that is also fine and if you really get stuck I would give you my phone #. Or, send a plane ticket to .........

Richard

Sam Blasco
07-14-2005, 8:30 PM
Kevin, I've got some experience in this department, maybe just enough to get me in trouble, but I'm close, have a nice shop and have collected way too many tools over the years, so chances are, if you don't have it and don't want to get it (I always look at a project as a chance to get a new tool, but that's just me) chances are I got it. I'm about five minutes from beautiful downtown Round Rock and would be willing to share what I know. Between my proximity and Richard's expertise you might have this done in six or seven hours. ;}.. I have to warn you though, my shop is haunted by little devils, who will jump on your shoulder when you enter, and whisper all sorts of tantric tool temptations in your ear....

Kevin Herber
07-22-2005, 11:01 PM
Kevin, I've got some experience in this department, maybe just enough to get me in trouble, but I'm close, have a nice shop and have collected way too many tools over the years, so chances are, if you don't have it and don't want to get it (I always look at a project as a chance to get a new tool, but that's just me) chances are I got it. I'm about five minutes from beautiful downtown Round Rock and would be willing to share what I know. Between my proximity and Richard's expertise you might have this done in six or seven hours. ;}.. I have to warn you though, my shop is haunted by little devils, who will jump on your shoulder when you enter, and whisper all sorts of tantric tool temptations in your ear....

Sam - That's an offer I can't refuse. I don't know exactly when I will begin but I will certainly be in touch. Gremlins are good in my book! I have to do a few other things before the stairs make it to the top of the priority list. It could be a few months yet.

Richard - Thanks for your input. I will most definitely look at L J Smith's parts. I have the rough frame with everything carpeted. I picked up a video at the library on stair making and that guy makes it look like a piece of cake. Fortunately I already have all the calculations in place so it is more a job of demolition of the existing solid wall and installing the new.

If I run into problems that Sam and I cannot figure out you will be getting a call!!

I'll update you on the progress as soon as there is some...

Thanks again -- Kevin

Curtis O. Seebeck
07-23-2005, 5:38 PM
I am a custom home builder in San Marcos and I do all my own trim work, including stairs. I am not sure about the L.J. Smith but there is a company in the Dallas area called Creative Stair Parts, a division of Southwest Moulding that supplies most of the lumber yards and millwork companies here in the Central Texas area. Search Google for Southwest Moulding and go to their homepage. From there you can click through to their Creative Stair Parts page. They have their complete catalog online so you can get an idea of what you need. I have also called them in the past and got technical advice as to what I needed for a special circumstance. They are quite helpful. You can not buy direct from them but they can tell you who their local distributor is.

Also, if you anc Sam get stuck, I could probably be talked into taking a road trip up there from San Marcos to give you some technical advice. I used to lieve in RR in Southcreek subdivision off Gattis School Rd. so I know the area pretty well.