PDA

View Full Version : Looking Forward to Tomorrow

Jim Koepke
11-04-2014, 2:10 PM
No matter who or what wins it is my hope my email inbox will suddenly not have the 20-50 extra emails each day related to "needs your support" or "last chance" or "can you spare $5."

Maybe there will be a few less commercials to FFW through during the little television I do watch.

Maybe the news programs will return to some news instead of the incessant chatter about who is a point ahead of who or what it will mean if their "prophecy" comes true.

Here is to hoping it all goes away tomorrow… tomorrow, I just can't wait for tomorrow.

jtk

Jerry Thompson
11-04-2014, 3:56 PM
If it were left to me I would probably not have a TV except to watch movies. I become more and more bored by today's entertainment.

curtis rosche
11-04-2014, 4:08 PM
Kinda off topic slightly..... But I wonder what the outcome would be if they took all the money and time put into campaigning and applied to to issues that matter,, like veteran care and such

Jim Koepke
11-04-2014, 11:36 PM
Kinda off topic slightly..... But I wonder what the outcome would be if they took all the money and time put into campaigning and applied to to issues that matter,, like veteran care and such

I was talking to a union president one time who commented, "we have to have a messed up contract or we wouldn't have any reason to renegotiate when it expired."

I think politicians are the same way. Only when it comes to the general public you can please them all anyway. Some folks are upset just because someone else is getting treated the same as they are.

jtk

Jim Rimmer
11-07-2014, 2:21 PM
If it were left to me I would probably not have a TV except to watch movies. I become more and more bored by today's entertainment.

You need a Netflix (or equivalent) subscription. My wife and I love English mysteries. We watch the ev ening news, Whell of Fortune and then off to merry old England for a few murders. Try Midsomer Mysteries - it's been running in England for 15 years and is still on.

Brian Elfert
11-07-2014, 3:52 PM
The amount of money spent on campaigning is a drop in the bucket compared to what the government spends on programs such as veteran's care. I heard around $2 billion was spent this time around on political campaigns. The VA spends something like 20 times that per year on medical care.

Campaigning still seems like a waste of money to me.

Jim Koepke
11-07-2014, 4:20 PM
Campaigning still seems like a waste of money to me.

In some cases it is. One case in particular was in Richmond, CA.

One side spent in the area of $3 million to elect a slate of candidates. They bought every billboard in town. They lost to the opposition who had a total war chest of approximately $58,000. Informed voters are seldom bought with slick or misleading advertisements.

Though on the upside, my email seems to be less cluttered now.

There is usually a (snail mail) mailer or two that comes after the election. Maybe this year will be different.

I am just glad it is over for a while. All to soon we will be getting bombarded with more of the same for 2016.

jtk