PDA

View Full Version : Router for table

Dave Cullen
11-04-2014, 10:18 AM
I have a small shopmade router table with an old Craftsman router under it. One reason I don't use it much is that I hate the router. The height adjustment mechanism is a threaded collar that runs on the plastic motor housing. You loosen a clamp on the base and move the motor up or down with the collar ring.

What sucks about it is that when turned upside down there's nothing holding the motor in once you loosen the clamp. See from the pic that I have a spring loaded platform under the motor to hold it up. Also, there's so much slop in the mechanism that when you tighten the clamp again the center of the bit is never in the same place.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5502/10976869676_bea954f0b4_z.jpg

Soooo... I'm considering a new router and the PC 690 seems to be popular. There are all sorts of inserts etc for them and generally they get good reviews. BUT - looking at photos online, it looks like they use the same lame depth adjustment as the tool that I have. I'd like to hear from PC users about how cumbersome they are (or aren't) when mounted upside down in a table.

Alternately, if there's a better choice - price point under $200 - what is it?

TIA

Prashun Patel
11-04-2014, 10:21 AM
You might consider keeping your router and investing in a lift. It will change the way you think about your table.

Bill Huber
11-04-2014, 10:30 AM
I agree with Prashun, look at a lift for it.

Rockler has one for like $180, it is made by Jessem and is a very good lift.

http://www.rockler.com/router-lift-fx

Once you get a lift things will be much different on the router table and you will be trying to find things to use it.

Dave Cullen
11-04-2014, 12:57 PM
I doubt very much that my 30 yr old Craftsman router will fit any lift. Buying a new router AND a lift is outside my budget. If the PC is not adjustable from above the table then another router might be more appropriate.

Bill Huber
11-04-2014, 1:02 PM
I doubt very much that my 30 yr old Craftsman router will fit any lift. Buying a new router AND a lift is outside my budget. If the PC is not adjustable from above the table then another router might be more appropriate.

It may, what is the model of the router?

lowell holmes
11-04-2014, 1:51 PM
I have a 690 under my saw table extension. I have reach under the table to adjust the height. The 690 motor is a good motor, but I quit using the plunge mechanism.
The variable speed on my DW-620 is more satisfactory.

Some of the large router bits need to be run at reduced speed. My 690 is an old one.

pat warner
11-04-2014, 1:51 PM
The 690 is a reasonable compromise and you'll have a dollar left over for a cutter or 2.
The over center lock (690LRVS) will not slip upside down or right side up.
Nice wt., lots of motor travel, about the same power as your Sears, built to last.

glenn bradley
11-04-2014, 3:03 PM
From your expressed concerns about slop and adjustability I too would go with a lift. Any cam-lock mechanism is going to flex a bit when tightened but, I learned to work around it for quite awhile before I went to a lift. Small routers work well in a table within their operating range. Like any tool, just don't expect it to be something its not and you'll do fine.

Tom Henderson2
11-04-2014, 3:27 PM
I have a small shopmade router table with an old Craftsman router under it. One reason I don't use it much is that I hate the router. The height adjustment mechanism is a threaded collar that runs on the plastic motor housing. You loosen a clamp on the base and move the motor up or down with the collar ring.

<snip>

I have what appears to be the same router, with the same foibles in a cheapo Craftsman router table.

The "uncommanded auto-adjust" feature drive me nuts... so it sits unused.

I've been thinking about replacing it and so this is a very timely thread... thanks for posting.

-Tom in SoCal

Jon Nuckles
11-04-2014, 3:36 PM
My 690 is probably 25 years old, but unless they've changed the design it will not be adjustable from above the table. It adjusts by turning the motor in a spiral channel in the base. (I have the fixed base, not the plunge.) It won't fall out when you loosen the clamp, but it is not ideal for under the table use. I know because I have the PC 7518 in my table and it adjusts in the same way. The 7518 is otherwise a great router for a router table, but a lift for it is on my list to buy one of these days. I agree with Bill Huber that your Craftsman router may work with a new lift. Most or all of the lifts just clamp around the motor housing, so all that matters is the diameter of that. I know some come with shims to fit various sizes. I'd measure your router diameter and look into it.

Myk Rian
11-04-2014, 4:28 PM
If you have any thought of using larger bits, the 690 may not be the best choice. I have an 890 in my table that will swing any bit I put in it.
They also work great in a lift.

roger wiegand
11-04-2014, 4:38 PM
+1 on the PC890. Got it in a kit with both plunge and fixed bases for a very reasonable price, the height adjusts from above the table. The fixed base mostly stays in the table insert; its easy to pop the motor out and into the plunge base. For most jobs it's a lot easier to handle than my big router and does the job well. As I've learned to use my shaper I no longer use really big bits in either router.

Rich Engelhardt
11-04-2014, 5:25 PM
Alternately, if there's a better choice - price point under $200 - what is it?

Northern Tool is having one heck of a sale until the 8th.
I got some coupons in my email from them.
$50 off a $250 or more purchase
$20 off a $100 or more purchase
$10 off a $50 or more purchase.

With the first coupon, you can get a big honkin Milwaukee 5625-20 3.5 HP router for $259.00 - with no tax and free shipping.
I'm bummed out because I just bought that same router from Tyler Tool for $309.00 and installed in in my table last week! Arggg!!!

Anyhow - it's more than you wanted to pay, but, for a real router - made for real heavy duty lifetime work, it's a steal of a price.
If your interested, you can PM me for the online code.

Oh yeah - forgot the best part - the Milwaukee has above table adjustment instead of the locking ring for fine adjustments.

glenn bradley
11-04-2014, 7:20 PM
Grizzly Christmas catalog showed up with the Milwaukee 5625 (http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2014/Christmas/31)(my preferred table router but, everyone has a favorite) for $279.

Dave Cullen
11-05-2014, 12:37 PM
Northern Tool is having one heck of a sale until the 8th.
I got some coupons in my email from them.
$50 off a $250 or more purchase
$20 off a $100 or more purchase
$10 off a $50 or more purchase.

With the first coupon, you can get a big honkin Milwaukee 5625-20 3.5 HP router for $259.00 - with no tax and free shipping.
I'm bummed out because I just bought that same router from Tyler Tool for $309.00 and installed in in my table last week! Arggg!!!

Anyhow - it's more than you wanted to pay, but, for a real router - made for real heavy duty lifetime work, it's a steal of a price.
If your interested, you can PM me for the online code.

Oh yeah - forgot the best part - the Milwaukee has above table adjustment instead of the locking ring for fine adjustments.

Thanks for that, Rich. It looks like it's baby brother the 5616-20 might be just the ticket for me. Above the table adjustment and EVS to boot. $179 and free shipping.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200308137_200308137

PM sent regarding discount codes.

Rich Engelhardt
11-05-2014, 2:39 PM
(PM & code sent)
Dave,
One thing I didn't care for about the 2.25 HP 5616-20 is that if you use a Woodpeckers plate to mount it, it won't allow the above table adjustments.
I decided to just go all out and get the big Milwaukee instead.

If you don't use a Woodpeckers plate, it's probably a non issue.

Dave Cullen
11-06-2014, 11:12 AM
Thanks. I'll likely make my own plate.

Dave Anthony
11-06-2014, 12:42 PM
For ~ $250, the 2 HP Triton is nice, I've been very happy with it. Good above the table height adjust, 1 wrench bit changes.