PDA

View Full Version : Newing Hall Apex 1 controller

Bob WrightNC
11-04-2014, 8:03 AM
I've got an opportunity to purchase a Newing Hall 350 with an Apex controller at a pretty decent price. The problem is what windows I would need to run. Is the controller the issue with running windows later versions, or the software that comes with it. I'm just curious what it would take to make this thing work with the systems I have in place. Would an Apex 2 controller be a better option since I think one of those might be available. I've searched the forums and think I understand but just wanted to confirm that there wasn't any other options since some of these were done in 2012 and earlier. Thanks!

Mike Null
11-04-2014, 10:05 AM
Bob

I have that machine and I use Win XP Pro. I believe it will work on newer versions as well but mine uses Engravlab as the software and I can't move to my newer pc without paying an exorbitant upgrade fee. Mine uses a dongle as well.

Mark Sipes
11-04-2014, 2:14 PM
Mike does your controller have knobs to control the feed and spindle rates? or Does it say Professional Series on the Front with all key pad buttons ?

Bob WrightNC
11-04-2014, 2:40 PM
Mark,
It does say professional on the front panel. It's one I have a chance to buy but have not inspected it closely. Not sure where the knobs to control feed and spindle rates are Mike.

Thanks for your help guys. I'm concerned about using a version of windows that can't be updated on a computer that I don't have.

David Somers
11-04-2014, 2:45 PM
Bob,

For what it is worth, I wouldnt worry about using XP so long as you don't let it touch the internet. Install a clean copy on a computer. Or use something like VMware and install a copy of XP in a virtual machine and disable the virtual NIC in that virtual machine and you should be fine. Doesnt sound like the software for this thing is being upgraded so that is fine.

Dave
PS...was that gibberish or did you follow me?

Mike Null
11-04-2014, 3:17 PM
Mark

Mine has the control knobs for speed and rate. It also says Apex Professional Series.

I upgraded the machine to this from the original controller several years ago.

Mark Sipes
11-04-2014, 8:03 PM
So Mike you have an HPGL Controller that will work with the new operating systems. The AMC1 will only work with Dos So Win 98SE is the latest operating system the controller will work with. The AMC II was limited with ME . That is why Newing Hall dropped the AMC line and went to the HPGL ( HP2/3) controllers.

Bob take note Window 98SE. That is what I run and as Dave says keep it off the internet. although I have my linked through my router so I can design in Corel 16 and send file to the engraver.

Mike Null
11-06-2014, 10:19 AM
Mark

You are correct. The old controller did use dos and cartridges for fonts. I pitched that pc as I couldn't give it away.

Bob, that looks like a dandy piece of equipment. (just to give you an idea, I spent about $10,000 to get mine refurbished, the new controller, Engravlab, and a new table)

Bob WrightNC
11-06-2014, 3:24 PM
Mark

You are correct. The old controller did use dos and cartridges for fonts. I pitched that pc as I couldn't give it away.

Bob, that looks like a dandy piece of equipment. (just to give you an idea, I spent about $10,000 to get mine refurbished, the new controller, Engravlab, and a new table)

Thanks Mike.

Mark Sipes
11-07-2014, 9:18 PM
Bob if you decide to purchase the AMC1 I will send you the software to run the machine and whatever help you need to learn the machine. If you are running Corel ?? with XP+ you can link to a Windows 98SE system. You will need a separate computer to run the AMC1 system. I have had mine since new (1996) and have never had a problem with the machine/controller/software.

Let us know what do decide or what your concerns are.

Bob WrightNC
11-08-2014, 7:39 AM
Thanks Mark, I'm still working on that decision process but went to NBM yesterday in Charlotte and I'm really working on my first lazer which is at the top of my list.

Mark Sipes
11-08-2014, 7:31 PM
Just offering you a hand in that decision. Not sure what you business model is or what line of business you are looking to wrangle.

Personally I could use two more NH rotary engravers and keep them all running at the same time. That is on top of the laser which already runs 10 hours a day..