PDA

View Full Version : Out of date chargers

John T Barker
11-03-2014, 5:41 PM
I have a Craftsman cordless drill that I picked up years ago when one of their tool stores was closing. It did not have the charger and I have dragged my butt about buying it. Finally decided to get going on it and I fear the model is discontinued. Anyone know of a source for old chargers?

Garth Almgren
11-03-2014, 5:59 PM
Man, if it were a Black & Decker 9.6v FireStorm charger you needed, I'd give you the one that came with our house for the cost of shipping...
Old chargers can be tough. A Craigslist wanted ad may be your best bet. A wanted post to your local Freecycle group(s) (http://www.freecycle.org/) may turn up something useful (you never know!). I've found some success by browsing through the electronics at thrift stores, but those can be really hit-or-miss when you're looking for something specific.

Steve Peterson
11-03-2014, 7:58 PM
I bet you would be able to find one on Ebay. If you want an old style 19.2V NiCad charger, I would give you one of mine for the cost of shipping. I have switched over to Li-Ion. The new Li-Ion chargers will also charge the old NiCad batteries with the benefit of not over-charging if the battery is left in the charger all the time.

Steve

Bruce Wrenn
11-03-2014, 8:54 PM
I have a couple of Craftsman drills, with chargers. What is the model # of yours, plus what voltage? Several models (same voltage) used same charger and battery

John T Barker
11-04-2014, 8:19 PM
I have a couple of Craftsman drills, with chargers. What is the model # of yours, plus what voltage? Several models (same voltage) used same charger and battery

This one is a Craftsman Professional, with a 12 volt nickel-cadium battery. The model number is 315.269261 and the label states the battery should only be charged in a #315.110400 charger.
This is the type of battery which does not have a stem that fits into the handle of the drill.

I am grateful to anyone that can help me on this. Thanks.

Lonnie Gallaher
11-04-2014, 9:17 PM
My suggestion would be to hit some thrift stores. The ones I go to seem to have boxes of chargers and power supplies.

Bruce Wrenn
11-04-2014, 9:29 PM
Just checked, and mine are the 13.2 volt models. Sorry they won't work for you, as I'm going to either trash them, or donate to local Habitat store. Got two drills, four batteries, and two chargers. Batteries could be rebuilt, but I now use the Ridgid 12V LI drills. Own five, all covered by LSA. Local HD does battery swaps now, which is really nice.

John T Barker
11-04-2014, 9:39 PM
Thanks for the reply. I just did a better search with ebay and found one. Now I have to do the numbers crunch and decide if it is worth the money. Used stuff is widely available these days.

Bruce Wrenn
11-05-2014, 9:25 PM
Thanks for the reply. I just did a better search with ebay and found one. Now I have to do the numbers crunch and decide if it is worth the money. Used stuff is widely available these days.Most likely, the batteries are going to be tired too, so figure in battery replacement also.

cody michael
11-06-2014, 8:38 AM
I know on my craftsman 19.2 volt you were better off buying new drill, battery, charger set then buying a battery. normally black friday they have 19.2 volt drill for 30-40$ with battery and charger.