PDA

View Full Version : Laser Engraving Black Acrylic

Bill George
11-03-2014, 4:39 PM
So dumb question... If you laser engrave or raster black Acrylic does the pattern come out white frosted like the clear does?

Keith Colson
11-03-2014, 4:53 PM
Its not very visible, what I do is engrave with the paper on and then spray paint it before I peel the paper off and it gives some nice contrast. You can always buy double colour material too.

Cheers
Keith

Brian Leavitt
11-03-2014, 5:21 PM
I laser black acrylic with very good results (in my opinion). In fact, I just made a coin display for a customer today out of black acrylic, with engraving below the coin. The engraving is more grey than white, but with the stuff I use, it comes out nice.

Bill George
11-03-2014, 6:06 PM
I laser black acrylic with very good results (in my opinion). In fact, I just made a coin display for a customer today out of black acrylic, with engraving below the coin. The engraving is more grey than white, but with the stuff I use, it comes out nice.
Well I usually get the clear cast acrylic from Amazon but they only had black translucent, so I got some pure cell cast black from an eBay vender. Will see how it turns out. Might be using to make bases.

Bill George
11-03-2014, 6:11 PM
Its not very visible, what I do is engrave with the paper on and then spray paint it before I peel the paper off and it gives some nice contrast. You can always buy double colour material too.

Cheers
Keith
Keith do you engrave the back side as you would clear and then spray white?

Question, since your close to down under, do you folks get snow and ice like we do up here in the US? I say you don't, my wife says no your weather is just reversed of ours? Years ago as a Ham Radio guy I used to talk with hams in that part of the world.

Keith Colson
11-03-2014, 9:00 PM
Hi Bill

I engrave the top side and I like to spray it with some silver paint for a really sharp look. Clear coat is needed to stop it fading.The top right card is silver paint on black acrylic. You can see the top left card is much nicer though. It is a "double colour" sheet which I highly recommend. It is a single laser process solution.

I am actually "down under" which includes New Zealand. Living in Mairangi Bay which is north, the whether is pretty nice, no snow and warm beaches. The south of New Zealand gets some serious snow at times. Your wife is right, it is the opposite of the US. The whether has less extremes I am guessing it is due to everywhere being coastal. It sounds like you could do with a fun vacation to see for yourself!

Cheers
Keith

Jiten Patel
11-04-2014, 3:20 AM
We engrave black cast all the time and it turns out great - engraves white. Will try find a pic

Hilton Lister
11-04-2014, 2:08 PM
I also engrave considerable amounts of black cast acrylic. Results are quite variable and I feel that it depends on the power and focus as to how white it comes out. I will crack it some day!

Martin Boekers
11-05-2014, 4:16 PM
Remember when you engrave acrylic, the etch is translucent and not opaque so with the black underneath it will add a bit of density as will
any color. I've done a lot of single coin holders with an etch and a cutout for the coin to sit. They look good, not pure white though.

I also cut shields and emblems out of black acrylic and the paint with Krylon Fusion and then engrave, looks nice. Also cut letters from
black and paint too, for signage.

mike klein
11-07-2014, 9:50 PM
Our local Epilog rep brought over a Fibermark machine to our shop for a demostration a few weeks ago and I was very impressed how black acrylic engraved a nice frosty white. Myself I've never had any luck getting white on black acrylic using the CO2 but the Fibermark did a great job.

Bill Cunningham
11-15-2014, 9:11 PM
Black acrlyc engraves very nice. Wipe on/off some white acrylic paint to brighten it right up. Photos work well on it. I use the same settings I use for granite, and wipe on some white acrylic paint after.