PDA

View Full Version : KERN - 250w vs 400w

Scott Weinstein
11-03-2014, 1:13 PM
Good day Saw Mill Creek!

Our company is looking to upgrade from our Vytek 60w to something more powerful. We are looking into Kern laser's and were wondering if anyone had any feedback regarding their machines? Quality Support?

We also are curious if anyone has input on going for the 400w, or will the 250w be plenty. Besides the fact that a 400w will cut thicker materials better will the 400w engrave the same quality as a 250w though seemingly faster?

Thank you for your input,

Scott

Mike Null
11-03-2014, 3:40 PM
I've not been fortunate enough to own one but I know people who have had them and they have been quite pleased--in fact, I can't recall a single complaint about Kern.

Paul Phillips
11-04-2014, 6:40 PM
Scott, I looked into Kern lasers when I was shopping around before i bought my ULS, I would have bought one if I could have afforded it, but it was a bit out of my price range, about $90+ for a 400w 4'x8'. The engraved wood sample they sent me was incredibly detailed, they have no problem engraving high detail levels, I think their speed is pretty good for a large format as well. Also at 400w they offer a gas assist attachment that will allow you to cut mild steel up to 3/16" and SS .08". Check out their website if you haven't already, it's an impressive machine.

Robert Tepper
11-04-2014, 10:41 PM
I saw their booth at the SGIA show in Las Vegas two weeks ago. Stopped and talk to their people. An exceptionally impressive machine and company.

Robert

Dave Sheldrake
11-05-2014, 9:12 AM
Kern seem to be the middle ground between $60k large home business machines and $500k start line industrials. Never heard a bad word about them and from what I have seen quality seems to be first order and beyond. In essence as near to stuff like Haas, Mitsubishi and Yamazaki as you will get under a million bucks or so.

cheers

Dave

Jay Selway
11-05-2014, 12:09 PM
A buddy of mine has a 400w Kern if you'd like his contact information. Just PM me.

That thing is a beast.

Matt Turner (physics)
11-05-2014, 1:36 PM
We've been completely happy with our machine and the support we've gotten from Kern. I think their only weak spot would be that the software isn't refined as maybe Epilog's or Trotec's might be, but that's to be expected with their lower sales volume, and we haven't had any problems with getting things done.

The 400W won't save you any time when engraving: engraving never uses more than 50% power unless you're doing 3D wood engraving. It will save some time when cutting, and will let you get through thicker metals if you get the metal-cutting option. Ask Kern for their recommended settings sheets for 250W and 400W to get a good comparison of speeds.