PDA

View Full Version : Name plate Engraving

Bill George
11-03-2014, 1:10 PM
I have a small piece of 1/16 black over white nametag plastic I'd like to try, just for fun to engrave. Do I try a shallow vector cut with a single line font or just raster engrave?

I have a 40 watt Chinese laser but I'm guessing it will take very little power.

I am going to head for Johnson plastics later on to price materials but I just wanted to try it first.

Scott Shepherd
11-03-2014, 2:14 PM
Raster engrave it Bill.

Mike Null
11-03-2014, 3:37 PM
Bill

I imagine Johnsons will provide samples of a lot of materials is you ask.

Bill George
11-03-2014, 3:40 PM
That's where I am headed right now. I tried use what I had on hand, but it was old, old rotary engraving stuff but I learned the basics of set up and exporting as a DXF file. Thanks Mike and Scott.

Got my account set up and order placed, and with the Sawmill Creek Discount...

Joe Pelonio
11-03-2014, 9:24 PM
That's where I am headed right now. I tried use what I had on hand, but it was old, old rotary engraving stuff but I learned the basics of set up and exporting as a DXF file. Thanks Mike and Scott.

Got my account set up and order placed, and with the Sawmill Creek Discount...
There are rotary colors not available in laser material, that I have had to use. You can engrave on it, but it takes more power/lower speed or two passes. The results are still good, though. It's just a denser, harder plastic.

john passek
11-05-2014, 4:37 PM
Johnson Plastics are a great supplier, I have requested several samples of new materials and they arrive at my door within the week.
Be careful with rotary plastics, they may contain ABS, very hazardous when lasered.

Ross Moshinsky
11-05-2014, 8:05 PM
Johnson Plastics are a great supplier, I have requested several samples of new materials and they arrive at my door within the week.
Be careful with rotary plastics, they may contain ABS, very hazardous when lasered.

ABS is laser friendly. PVC is not.

Bill George
11-06-2014, 8:22 AM
Since I am in Iowa and Johnson headquarters is in Minnesota I got it next day thanks to UPS. It engraves beautifully. I especially like the brushed silver with the black under.

Mike Null
11-06-2014, 8:37 AM
Bill

Be advised that Johnson Plastics offers tech support by telephone and they will custom make and fabricate items for you as well. Just yesterday I received an order of anodized aluminum plates that I had them cut and drill. (I could have done it but their speed and uniformity was what I was after.)

john passek
11-06-2014, 12:26 PM
Ross, you are correct, I meant to say PVC, sorry Bill.