PDA

View Full Version : Fisher Anvil update

Dave Beauchesne
11-02-2014, 10:49 PM
Posted a while back about a 40# Fisher anvil I picked up at a garage sale for five bucks. A 30#er sold on the 'bay recently for around $225.00, shipped.

I got info back from the gentleman that runs the Fisher Anvil Museum that this size of anvil and vintage ( 1895 ) had a 1/4" hardened plate for the flat working surface, and to try to sand it as I saw fit. The surface was pretty uneven, and I happen to know a well ( tool ) equipped, retired machinist.

He lightly milled the feet flat so the anvil would sit flat in the surface grinder, and he proceeded to surface grind 0.015" off the top.

I took a wire brush and WD40 to the rest to retain the patina. The ground surface looks a lot out of place at this point; it will patinate over time. After all, rust never sleeps.

The sweet thing; I bought a couple straight razors at the Flea today ( my son uses them ), the scales were a bit loose on one so I took a small ball pein to the rivet on the anvil - perfect! The solid feedback was just what I expected / wanted.

All I can say: Lucky to find such a treasure, and happy it turned out well.

My advice, get an anvil, something no Neander should be without.

David Weaver
11-02-2014, 11:27 PM
Very useful for hammering saws, too, with a burr free surface like that.

Daniel Sutton
11-03-2014, 9:26 AM
That looks really good. That size is really handy for the bench. They're one of those tools that you didn't know what you were missing until you have it. They are a little like planes in that they tend to multiply though.

Jim Koepke
11-03-2014, 11:46 AM
Dave, that now looks like a respectable hunk of steel. I have never had a real anvil. Most of the time have used short pieces of discarded RR track.

Found a piece at a yard sale some one cut down to have an anvil shape. It is now attached to a stump in my shop for all my pounding on metal needs.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?110563-Speaking-of-Anvils

jtk

Pat Barry
11-03-2014, 12:21 PM
Hi Dave, do you know how the hardened plate is attached the the body of the anvil?

Dave Anderson NH
11-03-2014, 1:09 PM
For those, like me, who don't have the space for a full sized anvil and only have occasional use for one Lee Valley has a great small one for a reasonable price. I mounted mine on a piece of plywood with a vertical 2x4 rib which clamps in a face vise. The anvil rests on top of the leg of my assembly bench and when clamped in place is quite solid. It also stores away nicely on the shelf under the bench.

David Weaver
11-03-2014, 1:33 PM
Hi Dave, do you know how the hardened plate is attached the the body of the anvil?

They look like they're welded or forge welded. George can probably comment, but they look like they're welded on and then the entire thing is probably heated and quenched and tempered.

george wilson
11-03-2014, 3:29 PM
The tool steel tops are forge welded. 1/4" is pretty thin for a top plate,but I have seen larger Fisher anvils with tops that thin. They need to be more like 3/4" thick to prevent the top getting hammered sway backed into the softer body beneath them.

Perhaps you could get a welder to fill in the broken away edges of the anvil with hard face weld. Then,get your machinist friend to grind it flat again.

Dave Beauchesne
11-03-2014, 4:05 PM
Perhaps you could get a welder to fill in the broken away edges of the anvil with hard face weld. Then,get your machinist friend to grind it flat again.

George:
I may get that done; for the time being, I will see if the current situation limits me at all. As I said in the previous post, there won't be any hard hammering on this little guy, peening smaller things, saw teeth ( per Mr. Weaver ), etc.
Thanks for the comments everyone, and George for the suggestion.

Dave B

David Weaver
11-03-2014, 4:08 PM
Well, you can hammer the set out of saw teeth on it, but what they're really useful for is hammering saws straight.

Moses Yoder
11-03-2014, 5:47 PM
I have various anvils and anvil like objects. The most useful one I have is nice and flat on top and weighs 9 pounds, cost about 15 times what you paid for yours, purchased from Todd Hughes. I like yours. I really like yours and the fact it is now flat on top especially considering the price. I have my grandfathers anvil, value one billion dollars.

george wilson
11-03-2014, 10:04 PM
A peter Wright anvil is a very highly respected anvil. Much in demand by blacksmiths.

Dave Beauchesne
11-10-2014, 12:05 AM
Well, you can hammer the set out of saw teeth on it, but what they're really useful for is hammering saws straight.
David:
I watched the tutorial on how to straighten a saw plate ( again ) and the little Fisher will be perfect for the task. Thanks.
Dave B