PDA

View Full Version : How soon after gluing ....

Joe Tonich
05-27-2003, 2:30 PM
can I put on an oil finish? I glued the handles on a bandsawn box I'm making about 3hrs. ago and was wondering if I can put an oil finish on the drawers now or do I have to wait 24hrs? I used Elmers Pro-bond yellow glue and I'm using Velvit Oil.

Thanks,

Joe

Dave Anderson
05-27-2003, 3:38 PM
Hi Joe,
I'd wait 24 hours and then make sure I scraped/sanded any squeeze out before putting on the oil.

I've never been a big fan of waiting minimal times on glue up. Probably just me but I'm not in that big a hurry - I let my glue dry <i>completely</i> before moving to the next step...

Joe Tonich
05-27-2003, 5:18 PM
Thanks Dave,

I guess I'll wait till tomorrow. I hate when I get behind and need things done yesterday. :(

Joe

Steve Jenkins
05-27-2003, 8:58 PM
"Why is there never time to do it right but always time to do it over?" Something I try to keep in mind when I am being rushed by a client. I hate doing things over when the only reason was time. Steve

Charles McKinley
05-28-2003, 11:29 AM
Hi Steve,

I bought a 16" jointer off of the guy that bought your combination machine. I'm glad to see you on "The Creek." I really liked your bowling alley tables.

Steve Jenkins
05-28-2003, 1:22 PM
I haven't heard from him since he called to say he made it home ok. Did he say anything about how he likes the combo? Great on the jointer. Steve