PDA

View Full Version : Jorgensen 7200 I-beam clamps --- new vs. old quality?

adam breuer
11-02-2014, 5:36 PM
I'm planning to stock up on Jorgensen 7200 series I-beam bar clamps. I believe this model is still USA-made. However, I saw one review on amazon where the buyer complained that the new clamps had inferior fit, finish, and overall quality compared to the 1980's version of these clamps. Can anyone comment on this? I was planning to order new ones, but will start scouring auctions if this is an issue.

Peter Quinn
11-02-2014, 7:24 PM
My last purchase was about 2 years back, Ive used some at work that were at least 25 years old....I couldn't tell the difference except my new ones aren't all buggered with glue. These are simple clamps, very strong, and jorgenson seems to be maintaining quality IMO. I've very recently purchased some F clamps and some cabinet clamps, both were as good as anything I've used form jorgenson new or old. Problem with amazon reviews is there are a lot of crazy people in the world and no filter. If you are really worried, buy one clamp from amazon, check it out, don't like it, send it back. Do like it...stock up.

Mark Bolton
11-02-2014, 8:03 PM
I have purchased I bars as recently as a few months ago and have had direct conversations with Jorgensen. The quality is perfectly fine in my opinion. I have been open here that I personally would buy an Ibar over any parallel clamp any day of the week. They are made here in the US and will answer your calls to prove it. No need to order a single as a trial in my opinion. My goto clamps in the shop are the Ibars and their 3/4" pipe clamps. I have a ton of F clamps as well but if I only had the Ibars an the pipe clamps I'd be happy as a clam.

Jim Andrew
11-02-2014, 8:06 PM
I bought a few at Menards when they cleared out the I beam Jorgensen clamps, then ordered some more from Grizzly when they had a clamp sale last year. They have them again in the Christmas sale catalog. The 36" are the same price as the 30", 32.95 each. I have bent the pipes on pipe clamps, can't bend the I beam clamps. Thinking about ordering a few more.

adam breuer
11-02-2014, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the replies! sounds like it's new tool time.

Mike Heidrick
11-03-2014, 12:30 PM
CAll The adjustable clamp co and ask Scott. He is in Chicago in the USA office. They have some cheapy F style bar clamps that are china made. Their I-beam and cabinet master parallel clamps are made in the USA the last time i bought some. I love their Cabinet Masters. Menards still carries cabinet masters and can be bought on sales and on the 11% off weekends.

If you want nice F clamps try to find the made in germany bessey tradesman clamps. You have to be careful there too as they make some in china now as well.

For bar clamps I also like the UC-900 aluminum clamps. They have them at thebestthings dot com. Way nicer than teh HF version.