PDA

View Full Version : Sashi- Nomi (slick chisel)

Brian Holcombe
11-02-2014, 1:49 PM
I'm curious to know if you guys find these long handled chisels useful?

The overall dimensions seem rather excessive, but I am also thinking they may be useful for the endless bridle joints and half laps I like to employ.

Jim Matthews
11-02-2014, 6:12 PM
I've got both, and prefer the registration I get with a long paring chisel.

There's something intuitive about knowing the back
of the chisel is flat, back to where I'm holding it.

Stanley Covington
11-02-2014, 10:29 PM
They are useful for paring any joint or surface where a lot of force is required and both hands are necessary. Originally intended for cleaning mortise and tenon and other joints in large timbers. I have a set by Kiyotada, but have not used them for anything but really large joints. They are fun and flashy, but expensive, and don't see a lot of use, I am sad to say. I recall I paid approximately $1200 (JPY120,000) 25 years ago or so for mine. I also waited about a year for Shimamura san to forge them.

They can still be ordered from a few makers, but those craftsmen get fewer every year.

The long neck is an important part of the design because it lets you shave into deep mortises. The long handle should give more precise control, but since it must be held with two hands against a stationary workpiece, and pushed using large muscles, I was never able to achieve the extremely high precision a long handle and neck should make possible.

I have seen these slicks in plane block maker's shops many years ago, so with practice, a lot of paring force can probably be applied very precisely.

Stan

lowell holmes
11-03-2014, 7:11 AM
Are we talking about any slick or just the Japanese slicks?

I have two old slicks that are 2" wide. I re-handled them as they were passed down to me. There are deadly sharp and will pare end grain on framing joints.
They are old domestic origin.

I don't use them for paring on the bench, though I suppose I could. They are good for chopping mortises in dimension lumber.

When I build wooden fences. I will extend the gate posts to 7' and put a header across the opening. They are great for m&t joints in that size range.

I had two gates that survived the 5 foot flood waters of of hurricane Ike. The gates are still intact.

Brian Holcombe
11-03-2014, 10:42 AM
Thanks fellas! I appreciate the insights.

I have a set of short handled paring chisels I use for detail work in most joinery. I have a pair of chisels with long handles I use for general purpose paring, but they're a bit lacking in the edge holding dept.

Jim Koepke
11-03-2014, 6:50 PM
It likely comes down to the work being done and how much you want to spend.

For lap and bridal joints my 1-1/2" chisels and 1-1/4" chisels get used most.

The top chisel is the closest thing to a slick in my accumulation. It is a 2" Stanley with a long handle.

The two chisels below it on the left are my most often used chisels for paring on lap or bridal joints. Almost all of the chisels shown get used for paring at times.

The big one is used mostly on trees or logs.

jtk

Brian Holcombe
11-03-2014, 9:17 PM
Thanks Jim, I'm leaning toward a set of wider long handled paring chisels and away from the slick chisels.

Mike Holbrook
11-05-2014, 9:38 AM
Brian,
I bought a Koyamaichi 36mm usu-nomi/paring chisel fairly recently from Tools From Japan. The chisel is about 13 1/2" long with a 6+" handle. I find the length of the tool and handle to be a nice compromise. It is long enough to use with two hands but short enough not to be unwieldy when using single handed.

Brian Holcombe
11-06-2014, 3:46 PM
Brian,
I bought a Koyamaichi 36mm usu-nomi/paring chisel fairly recently from Tools From Japan. The chisel is about 13 1/2" long with a 6+" handle. I find the length of the tool and handle to be a nice compromise. It is long enough to use with two hands but short enough not to be unwieldy when using single handed.

Thanks Mike, I am going to go that route and get the Usu Nomis in a couple sizes.