PDA

View Full Version : Bucket List; places to see

Moses Yoder
11-02-2014, 4:12 AM
The thread about upstate New York reminded me of the time when I was driving to PA and saw a sign that said "New York City 90 miles". I thought I should drive there just so I had been there. Still have never been there. This led to thinking about the places I actually want to see, and my wife agrees. Mainly Australia and Alaska. Unless something happens I will see them both before I die. Neither one of us will ever go to Vegas or Hollywood. Funny how the places you wish to see and those you have no desire to see reveal your character.

Chuck Wintle
11-02-2014, 4:18 AM
The thread about upstate New York reminded me of the time when I was driving to PA and saw a sign that said "New York City 90 miles". I thought I should drive there just so I had been there. Still have never been there. This led to thinking about the places I actually want to see, and my wife agrees. Mainly Australia and Alaska. Unless something happens I will see them both before I die. Neither one of us will ever go to Vegas or Hollywood. Funny how the places you wish to see and those you have no desire to see reveal your character.

I can say that Alaska is well worth a visit. Don't miss Denali Park, U of A at Fairbanks and Anchorage to name just a few places.

Malcolm Schweizer
11-02-2014, 6:56 AM
As a man who fills a passport book every two years, I have been many places. I have hiked across Spain, France, Italy, and Peru, and travelled to countless countries. It is hard to pick a favorite, and one person may like beaches, one mountains, so one person's favorite may not be another's. I would only say get out there and see the world. It is a beautiful place with beautiful people, no matter where you choose to go. You may find Latin America very affordable these days. The plane ticket may cost you, but you can eat cheap, and stay cheap.

Wade Lippman
11-02-2014, 10:46 AM
I can say that Alaska is well worth a visit. Don't miss Denali Park, U of A at Fairbanks and Anchorage to name just a few places.

I've been everywhere I want to go, and Alaska has to be the best.

I've been to Alaska twice. First trip was our honeymoon and the second trip was our 20th anniversary with our kids. On the second trip we skipped Anchorage and Fairbanks because you never have enough time and they don't come close to Katmai, Glacier Bay, or Wrangell–St. Elias. Admittedly the trip highlight was a plane that landed on a glacier on Mount McKinley, but that is so out of the way and so weather dependent that it is hard to recommend; we got lucky and it was perfect.

Mike Henderson
11-02-2014, 12:26 PM
The two places that had the greatest impact on me were Paris and Jerusalem. Both are very special places, but in very different ways.

Mike

Prashun Patel
11-02-2014, 1:03 PM
+1. Having grown up in the US, it's tempting to think that Europe comprises the majority of the world's meaningful history.

Personally, Japan is on my bucket list. I'm intrgued by their approach to everything.

Joe Tilson
11-02-2014, 2:04 PM
My wife and I have found staying close to home suits us very well. We have a variety that is unique to this area of the country. We have mountains, plains(piedmont), low land (wet lands), but most of all we have very nice people in this area. The area consist of upstate SC. NE GA, W NC, and even up into E TN. We have lots of places to ferret out and get into. I have been to Japan and love it, two of the best years of my life. We mostly do day trips these days.

Pat Barry
11-02-2014, 4:37 PM
I have no interest in going to Japan et al but Scandanavian countries for sure. I'd love to see the fjords of Norway. In the US the Grand Canyon (I've only seen it from the air) and Alaska - coastal areas primarily and Denali. Yosemite, Yellowstone and the surrounding country are both very worthwhile. Of course I could sit / walk for hours on the ocean beaches of either coast - one favorite is Daytona Beach - you can walk for miles

Myk Rian
11-02-2014, 5:23 PM
My wife and I have found staying close to home suits us very well.
Same here. We haven't seen all we want to of our own country, why spend our money in a country where they hate us?

Wade Lippman
11-02-2014, 8:03 PM
Personally, Japan is on my bucket list. I'm intrgued by their approach to everything.

I find their approach to their role in WWII intriguing.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-02-2014, 8:12 PM
If only one place...I would choose New Zealand. Tour both islands by bus, trains and ferry....fly into one island, ferry from one island to the other ..fly out of the other. We were there this spring for the 2nd time and that is how we toured it this time. They have a regularly scheduled bus system that works well. We spent 2 weeks touring NZ this time by bus, train and ferry.

Australia is another place we toured this spring. Australia is too big to tour exclusively by bus IMO unless you want to spend months doing it. In 2 weeks we saw most of the east coast of Oz including Cairns, the Great Barrier Reef, Uluru/Ayers Rock, Alice Springs, Sydney, Hobart Tasmania, Melbourne.

We shot over 5,000 digital photos.

Mike Henderson
11-02-2014, 8:13 PM
I find their approach to their role in WWII intriguing.
If you go to Tokyo try to visit the Yasukuni Shrine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yasukuni_Shrine) which is a WWII shrine. It is controversial because some of the senior Japanese military leaders, who were executed as war criminals, are interred there. But it's very interesting, especially if you're a World War II buff.

The other temple to visit is Sengakuji Temple (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sengaku-ji) where the 47 Ronin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forty-seven_Ronin) are buried. The story of the 47 Ronin - a true story - is (or was) a very important story to the Japanese. The 47 Ronin exhibited the spirit of bushido (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushido).

Mike

[And, just an added comment. Japan is very different from the rest of Asia.]

Shawn Pixley
11-02-2014, 8:17 PM
I've visited many places around the world. Japan is one of my favorites. LOML and I just landed from a two week visit there. I fact we brought back more tools from there than anything else.

Where would I still like to visit? Stornaway, the Isle of Lewis and Pixley, Hereford England, and Stonehenge to see my heritage. I'd like to see more of Scandinavia. Of specific places:

Machu Pichu
Valley of the Kings and Alexandria, Egypt
Athens and Thermopolae, Greece
St. Petersburg, Russia
Lascaux, France
Olduvai Gorge
Ayers Rock
Florence Italy

I bet I could up with some more...

Shawn Pixley
11-02-2014, 8:26 PM
The owner of the APA hotel chain, is a historical revisionist. He writes under the name of Seiji Fuji (Toshio Motoya). I find his views pretty ofensive. Luckily, the vast majority of Japanese are very friendly and overall, the people are wonderful. I could live there easily.

Scott Shepherd
11-02-2014, 8:56 PM
Same here. We haven't seen all we want to of our own country, why spend our money in a country where they hate us?

Ive been to about 13 countries so far. I have yet to meet anyone that hated us. What I have found in all of the countries I have visited is that everyone wants the same thing, good jobs, kids growing up safe, good health, etc.

I have also found that most people in other countries don't realize that what our government says and does isn't even remotely close to what we, as citizens believe.

I've been graciously welcomed into people's homes and they have enjoyed asking questions about the United States just as much as I've enjoyed learning about their countries. the vast majority of them believe if they come to the States, they will get shot. In reality, they have a higher chance of getting struck by lightning.

Bert Kemp
11-02-2014, 9:09 PM
Well were would I begin or should I say end as it is a bucket list topic and I have started to see all the places. I guess I just want to see it all.Is that to much to ask for. In the US and Canada I seen a lot of it and traveled mostly on my Motorcycle. 38 states 4 Canadian Provinces and a dash of Mexico. I toured all of Okinawa on a motorcycle fact is it was my very first bike I bought while stationed there in 1968 a 305 Honda Hawk wow what a bike LOL .I guess now my biggest desire is the fiord's and Norway and a Panama Canal Cruise. I've done several Caribbean cruise's but going thru the canal has got to be a gas.

Brian Elfert
11-02-2014, 10:41 PM
The thread about upstate New York reminded me of the time when I was driving to PA and saw a sign that said "New York City 90 miles". I thought I should drive there just so I had been there. Still have never been there.

I don't think you really want to drive to NYC. Horrible traffic. Public transit or taxis is the way to go in NYC. Years ago I was on a bus tour and the folks running the tour decided we should drive through NYC just so we could get a glimpse of the statue of Liberty. We spent a number of hours in traffic just to get a 15 second view of Lady Liberty. (Diesel was still relatively cheap back then.)

DOUG ANGEL
11-03-2014, 9:34 AM
Can't say I get excited about travel. After 20 years in the USAF, I've been all over Europe, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain etc. The people usually are somewhat hostile until they get to know you because of our government and their own governments propaganda. Quite a few people in these countries believe the US is a racist and violent place to visit. Then if they get a chance to come to the US, they are surprised to find relatively friendly people, cleaner cities than theirs, and excellent tourist facilities. Surprise! The US still is the best place to live or visit.

Jim Matthews
11-03-2014, 11:41 AM
My wife and I have found staying close to home suits us very well. We have a variety that is unique to this area of the country. We have mountains, plains(piedmont), low land (wet lands), but most of all we have very nice people in this area. The area consist of upstate SC. NE GA, W NC, and even up into E TN. We have lots of places to ferret out and get into. I have been to Japan and love it, two of the best years of my life. We mostly do day trips these days.

Shhh...

The next thing, they'll all find out about Charleston.
Don't spoil the secret.

Prashun Patel
11-03-2014, 11:46 AM
"Quite a few people in these countries believe the US is a racist and violent place to visit."

Quite a few people in the US believe these countries are racist and violent places to visit.

This saw cuts on both the pull and push stroke.

Erik Loza
11-03-2014, 12:04 PM
"Quite a few people in these countries believe the US is a racist and violent place to visit."

Quite a few people in the US believe these countries are racist and violent places to visit.

This saw cuts on both the pull and push stroke.

+1 ^^^^....

I was in Austria in 2004 for business and the folks for the company I was with at the time had a lot of questions about US politics, what Americans thought of other countries, etc. In fact, they seemed more interested in (our) domestic politics than many native folks. The internet was not what it is today, so I believe most of what they got was just through the major new channels. And they seemed surprised at some of my responses. As if I was breaking their stereotypes.

On the other hand, it is 2014 and though we have as much real-time info and social media as any person could want, I still talk to folks who say, for example, "Mexico is not safe to travel in", which is not at all true. Sure, there are parts I would avoid but then again, there just as many parts of the US I could say the exact same thing about.

Getting back to the bucket list-thing, the "Great Migration" of hoofed animals through the Serengeti Plains of east Africa would be on that list. It was not on my bucket list before we went but now, having experienced it, I can say that it's a once in a lifetime experience.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Dave Anderson NH
11-03-2014, 12:51 PM
Yee gaads, where to start. I'm not a world traveler by any means, but I have yet to find a place in our world that wasn't absolutely fascinating in its own way. There are major areas of the US and Canada that I would like to both visit and/or revisit. Another trip to the UK would be great I barely touched the surface in a week and a half there. I'd like to sea kayak again in Belize. My short stay in Japan 45 years ago was only a teaser and a return would be great. I've never yet made it to mainland Europe but it remains of interest to me. I'll pass on Vietnam though, my 13 month all expense paid trip there 46 years ago was plenty. Generally speaking I need to live another 300-400 years to go everywhere that currently interests me. Can someone show me the way to the fountain of youth?

Jim Rimmer
11-03-2014, 1:01 PM

If you want to see Australia and don't have the budget, come to Texas. Houston if you want to see what it's like Sydney; and Odessa if you want to see what Perth is like. Seriously though, I thought Australia was the friendliest place I have ever been and I've traveled extensively. Just remember, when you are in Australia, you're the one that talks funny. :D

Shawn Pixley
11-03-2014, 1:17 PM
Ive been to about 13 countries so far. I have yet to meet anyone that hated us. What I have found in all of the countries I have visited is that everyone wants the same thing, good jobs, kids growing up safe, good health, etc...

The vast majority of them believe if they come to the States, they will get shot. In reality, they have a higher chance of getting struck by lightning.

I've also traveled quite widely and yet have found people who hated us. I have found people confused as to what our government does and the level of violence as depicted in the media. There are very different cultural norms in some countries and I clearly respond better or worse to some depending upon the situation.

Life is an adventure and I intend to treat it that way. Even places where I have been in danger or I intensly disliked, have added to a fuller world view as it can crystalize what you feel is important.

David Weaver
11-03-2014, 1:46 PM
i want to see my kids grow up happy, healthy, financially responsible and secure and respectful of other people. That's it. Travel doesn't even come on to my radar as a material thing in life.

Brian Deakin
11-03-2014, 2:08 PM
I live in the UK

Why do you want to visit Hereford

regards Brian

Peter Kelly
11-03-2014, 2:25 PM
Famous cattle?

Mike Henderson
11-03-2014, 7:42 PM
If you want to see Australia and don't have the budget, come to Texas. Houston if you want to see what it's like Sydney; and Odessa if you want to see what Perth is like. Seriously though, I thought Australia was the friendliest place I have ever been and I've traveled extensively. Just remember, when you are in Australia, you're the one that talks funny. :D
Yeah, they think it's really funny when we ask for directions to the "rest room". They'll say something like, "Oh, you're going to go take a 'rest'? We call it taking a piss."

Mike

Ken Fitzgerald
11-03-2014, 11:13 PM
I've also traveled quite widely and yet have found people who hated us. I have found people confused as to what our government does and the level of violence as depicted in the media. There are very different cultural norms in some countries and I clearly respond better or worse to some depending upon the situation.

Life is an adventure and I intend to treat it that way. Even places where I have been in danger or I intensly disliked, have added to a fuller world view as it can crystalize what you feel is important.

In Milwaukee, WI a fellow student, a fellow corporate employee, Egyptian by birth, hated and blasted the US citizens and government. I was shocked.

On the 26th of December (Boxing Day, a national holiday) 2008 during out first trip to NZ, we arrived back at our hotel in Queenstown, South Island, New Zealand. We were the only customers in our hotel's restaurant. As we finished our dinner, another couple came into the restaurant and requested to be seated next to our booth. In conversation with the waitress she explained she was a French student doing her mandatory 6 months international work outside France for her degree. When she left with our credit card to pay for dinner, the husband of the other couple asked where we were citizens. It was over 1 hour and 15 minutes before I could excuse myself to join my wife in our room as the Australian guy expounded on how the USA was the greatest, the most generous nation on earth and had such an undeserved bad international reputation. My wife begged off after 30 minutes as we listened to the guy expound on his opinion.

My wife's brush with a deadly form of cancer 22 years ago and then my sudden deafness 4 years ago made us realize how brief life really is and it changed our view of this world. My view of life has changed dramatically! We never dreamed of international travel until gifted for our 40th anniversary with a 10 day trip to NZ by our youngest son and wife.

When we married we couldn't afford a honeymoon. This past February and March, 46 years later, we had that honeymoon with our trip to Australia, return to New Zealand and 2 days in Fiji.

Next on my bucket list........ Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada and Ireland, Scotland, England, Germany.....I'm sure I'll add to the list.

Bert Kemp
11-04-2014, 4:30 PM
Loo its the Loo :rolleyes:

Yeah, they think it's really funny when we ask for directions to the "rest room". They'll say something like, "Oh, you're going to go take a 'rest'? We call it taking a piss."

Mike

Brent Ring
11-04-2014, 7:07 PM
I have traveled a little in my life. Australia, Singapore, and India twice, The Netherlands, Estonia, Finland, Ireland, the UK, Mexico, Canada, Japan, the Bahamas, and lived in Honduras and Belize for 19 months. My wife and I are very excited about a trip to mainland China in January. We will also get to see Hainan Island and Hong Kong. I love all of the uniqueness that the world offers, and the fun of traveling. But I am always glad to come home. I have found nowhere else in the world what we enjoy in the US.
(We are less than excited about Chinese "squatty potties" though!)

Fred Chan
11-05-2014, 2:29 AM
When you go to China make sure you load up your pockets each morning with TP from your hotel room. Public restrooms in restaurants and malls do not provide TP or hand towels.

Joe Tilson
11-05-2014, 8:25 AM
To late Jim, now you've let out. Let's keep it secret.

Ole Anderson
11-05-2014, 2:46 PM
I'm more of an explore-the-USA-first kind of guy, although I have been in several central American ports on a cruise as well as several Caribbean islands. Does that count? Before jumping offshore, check out the good old USA first. We toured 9,000 RV miles out west last summer, nearly repeating a trip my family took 50 years ago. Great memories. Hawaii and Alaska are two gems not to be missed. And some major national parks should be on the list too, Yosemite, Yellowstone, Glacier, Grand Canyon to name a few. The USA has so much to offer geographically it is staggering compared to any other country. We are so, so fortunate. I enjoy water so the Great Lakes, Florida beaches, New England coastal areas have sparked my interest.

Kent A Bathurst
11-05-2014, 3:54 PM
If only one place...I would choose New Zealand. Tour both islands by bus, trains and ferry....fly into one island, ferry from one island to the other ..fly out of the other.

^^^ DO THIS !!

2-1/2 weeks; almost 2 weeks spent on the western coast of the south island - the east coast is more "touristy". The west coast is jaw-dropping. But - we are not "tour" people - rent a car. See Milford Sound. Take a chopper ride to the glaciers. Walk among the kauri trees.

As a second idea: Istanbul. It straddles Europe and Asia. The Bosphorous - famous throughout written history. It straddles incredible history.

When the Holy Roman Empire split to east and west, Constantine located the east in Byzantium, renamed it Constantinople.

The 4th Crusade - the crusaders could not pay their bill in Venice for ships and equipment, so they struck a deal where they would sack Constantinople, rather that going to fight in Egypt - the Christians sacked the Christians, to settle their account in Venice.

The history of the Ottoman Empire.

The history of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, leading the Turkish defensive forces at the debacle known as Anzac Cove in WW I, which led to his rise in the national conscience and political rise, and then went on to found the modern secular Turkish state. Churchill as First Lord of the Admiralty, driving the Dardanelles battles, and losing his job over that fiasco.

The architecture is simply remarkable.

Been many places in the world - saw 40+ states by the time I was 15 - we have seen the USA. If I could make 2 more trips, it would be these two. NZ South Island. Istanbul.

Brent Ring
12-04-2014, 11:49 AM
When you go to China make sure you load up your pockets each morning with TP from your hotel room. Public restrooms in restaurants and malls do not provide TP or hand towels.

We have so been warned! :) Thanks for the info.

Michael Dedon
12-06-2014, 8:56 PM
African safari. I worked in Kenya for eight months and had the opportunity to take some non-tourist trips and it's a real experience.

I also fell in love with the Mediterranean. Start any where and follow the coast, hit the islands, be local, and take your time.

Don Morris
12-06-2014, 9:41 PM
After 30+ years in uniformed service and seeing wonderful places on both sides of the "ponds" we have on each side; let me tell you there are people who hate us and people who admire us. There used to be a term "The ugly Americans", because sometimes it seemed we earned it. On the other hand, I've heard stories from those who told me of the generosity of Americans they encountered. Seen some fabulous sites on both sides. You've got to decide what appeals to you and then go. IMHO, if you have the opportunity but only explore your own back yard, you're missing an opportunity to have a mind expanding and enriching experience.

Paul Cofrancesco
12-06-2014, 10:50 PM

Wow, well I guess that's one way to deal with the problem of people that are wasteful.

Paul Cofrancesco
12-06-2014, 10:51 PM
African safari. I worked in Kenya for eight months ...
What did you think of Kenya?

Paul Cofrancesco
12-06-2014, 10:52 PM
...Australia, Singapore, and India twice, The Netherlands, Estonia, Finland, Ireland, the UK, Mexico, Canada, Japan, ....have found nowhere else in the world what we enjoy in the US.
(We are less than excited about Chinese "squatty potties" though!)
I haven't traveled much so that's nice to hear.

Cody Kemble
12-06-2014, 11:26 PM
In the US the Grand Canyon (I've only seen it from the air)

The Grand Canyon is absolutely breathtaking. I would love to go back when I have the time to hike rim to rim.

Rick Fisher
12-07-2014, 5:03 AM
In 2013, I did Angkor Wat Cambodia and Phnom Phen. We also spent 6 days in Saigon, just hanging out .. It was the trip of a lifetime.

One of my favorite cities to visit has been Havana Cuba. I have been so many times that I actually know my way around at least 1/2 the city.. Havana is very friendly .. I have hung out with American's who snuck in through Mexico on many occasions and they have always commented on how friendly the Cuban people are to them.

I want to see Peru and have never been to Europe.

Paul McGaha
12-07-2014, 5:59 AM
My bucket list is pretty modest compared to some of the others:

1) A Packer game at Lambeau field.
2) The Motown Museum in Detroit.
3) The new Cowboys stadium.
4) The Lie Nielsen facility in Maine.
5) New York City.
6) Hawaii.
7) Normandy, France.
8) I asked my wife and she said a trip west, California and the Grand Canyon. And also Ireland.

Just to name a few.

PHM

Scott Hackler
12-07-2014, 11:51 AM
My wife and I went out of the country for the first time, last March. We were on a group vacation to Cozumel. While there I was able to remove something from my bucket list, climb to the top of a Mayan pyramid! We (I) chose the less known and traveled site of Ek Balam and it was unbelievable. I would go back in a heartbeat, both to the Mayan ruins and to Cozumel. The people were so friendly and accepting of all the goofy tourists. I know that tourism is how everyone there makes their living, but even the people that were at the parade (we were there during Carnaval!) that didn't work at the bar/restaurant were so friendly.

Now the food.... our resort wasn't very good, but outside of the resort it was good.