PDA

View Full Version : Using a cut list

Bob Johnson2
07-14-2005, 9:29 AM
Folks
What's the purpose of the rough dimension listing on a cut list? I'm looking at one FWW had on their site a while back. It has both the rough and finished dimensions listed, does anyone use the rough?

Thanks

Marc Spagnuolo
07-14-2005, 9:52 AM
Personally I hate following plans. They generally only serve to confuse me and cause more problems. But when I do have a cut list with rough and final dimensions, I usually aim for just a little over the final dimensions. Then I start cutting a few of the critical pieces to exact. From there, I cut everything to fit, rather than to measurement.

Marc

Chris Padilla
07-14-2005, 11:05 AM
Bob,

Marc spelled it out pretty well. It is a huge leap of faith to take a cut-list, cut everything out exactly to the dimensions, and then fit it all together. Murphy says they won't fit together well due to some small error (either by you or the cut-list) or an accumulaton of errors.

Often, if sheet goods are involved, it is nice to take that 4x8 foot panel and cut it down into a more manageable size. Lottsa folks will circular saw the 4x8 plywood into something close to the real dimension and then take it to the table saw to make nice, clean, final cuts.