PDA

View Full Version : The Last Two

Jerry Thompson
11-01-2014, 3:03 PM
The last two of, I think nine, 1840 Shaker Clocks should be finished a couple of weeks. I don't even want to look at the plans let alone make one ever again.
It all started out to make one as a wedding gift, then one each for the kids, then three friends. This has been going on and off for about 18 months.
We don't work much in the shop in the summer time here in FL. I could keep the A/C on but I would have to have all of the parts cut to size before closing the garage door and proceeding. I have no dust collection and things can go boom with dust in the enclosed shop.
No I have no plans of any DC. I have been in this situation for 30 years and I will be winding down soon. The fact is I am sort of getting tired of WW. Then when I think of selling it all.......

Mark Bolton
11-01-2014, 3:14 PM
You wouldn't be able to breathe in your shop if you had that much sawdust in the air.

Jerry Thompson
11-01-2014, 3:19 PM
The open doors and two fans move it out quickly. Any sanding I do outside as well a thickness planning and jointing. The only real dust inside is from the table saw.
Most of rest machine stuff is outdoors.

Mark Carlson
11-01-2014, 3:21 PM
I love to see some pictures of the clocks.

Bruce Page
11-01-2014, 3:54 PM
I love to see some pictures of the clocks.

Agree! Break out the camera.

Mark Bolton
11-01-2014, 4:53 PM
I was referring to the "boom" factor. You wouldn't be able to function in an environment with enough sawdust in the air for an explosion. Your eyes would be pasted shut before the boom could ever haopen lol.

Just saying, sawdust in a closed shop isn't gonna blow.

Agree too, snap some photos, I bet they are some nice clocks. Whenever I get in a series like that with tons of the same it can get old quick.

Hopefully a little break from the hobby will keep you from quitting it all together.

Jerry Thompson
11-01-2014, 5:54 PM
I will break out the DSLR and Photoshop the hell out of them.:)

Moses Yoder
11-01-2014, 6:01 PM
I participated in our annual shop blow down today, about 10 hours. Even if the dust is not enough to explode, it is not good for you and it is in fact a miserable environment. I would look into the Jet small portable dust collector, I had one of those once and it worked great. Ya, I know you don't want to hear it; I said it anyway.

Jim Becker
11-01-2014, 8:54 PM
I hope you'll post photos of your clock projects in the Woodworking Projects forum here at SMC where members display finished projects!

Jim
SMC Moderator