PDA

View Full Version : Can you glue polyurethane tires on a bandsaw?

Rick Potter
11-01-2014, 4:22 AM
The rubber tires on my 30 Y/O Delta 16" three wheel bandsaw finally came apart. I bought some polyurethane tires for it, and they fit, but several times the tire on one of the wheels has come off, taking the blade with it.

Anyone know if you can glue polyurethane tires, and if so, with what glue?

Rick Potter

jack forsberg
11-01-2014, 11:05 AM
The rubber tires on my 30 Y/O Delta 16" three wheel bandsaw finally came apart. I bought some polyurethane tires for it, and they fit, but several times the tire on one of the wheels has come off, taking the blade with it.

Anyone know if you can glue polyurethane tires, and if so, with what glue?

Rick Potter

sure just clean the wheels with solvent put the tire on and with a piece of pipe between the tire and wheel use polyurethane glue (gorilla glue is a name brand) spreed with a stick as you roll the pipe around. if the wheel have a rim your good to go if not than use twist ties to keep the tire from slide off the wheel when the glue is wet.

Phil Thien
11-01-2014, 12:05 PM
I've heard of people using hairspray.

Not sure how the polyurethane glue would work as it needs moisture to set.

jack forsberg
11-01-2014, 2:00 PM
I've heard of people using hairspray.

Not sure how the polyurethane glue would work as it needs moisture to set.

tell that to the hardened bottle on my shelf!!!!!

Gus Dundon
11-04-2014, 2:55 PM
Have you cleaned the wheels before you installed the new tires?
It's not that necessary to glue down urethane but yes, sure you can.

Rick Potter
11-05-2014, 2:32 AM
Asked the question of Alex Snodgrass in the Carter booth at the WW show. He said to use CA glue. Take a phillips screwdriver and run it around the wheel, lifting up the tire and putting in CA glue with a tooth pick or whatever.

Frank Drew
11-05-2014, 10:25 AM
Some manufacturers (Oliver, I believe) used shellac as an adhesive.

I once mounted, with great difficulty, some tires on a Hitachi band saw; they were so tight and such a bear to get on I figured they'd never come off (no glue used), but the first time I ran the saw with the new tires the centrifugal force was so great that they did, in fact, begin to flutter and quickly worked themselves off. Bringing the blade with them, to my great surprise and shock.

Sam Layton
11-05-2014, 10:56 AM
Hi Rick,

I do not understand the toothpick idea. I am not sure that the CA glue would stick to the polyurethane tire. Test it first. If it does stick, I would use the medium CA. In addition, I think I would scuff the inside of the tire with sand paper, and clean with lacquer thinner.

Sam

Phil Thien
11-05-2014, 12:32 PM
Hi Rick,

I do not understand the toothpick idea. I am not sure that the CA glue would stick to the polyurethane tire. Test it first. If it does stick, I would use the medium CA. In addition, I think I would scuff the inside of the tire with sand paper, and clean with lacquer thinner.

Sam

I agree w/ Sam here. If you plan on gluing tires on, try a little bit of whichever glue you intend to use on a spot on the tire. Just a bit. Let it cure, and then try lifting it off w/ your fingernail. Most adhesives won't stick to polyurethane tires.

Rick Potter
11-05-2014, 1:26 PM
Sorry guys,

I just dug the saw out of the corner and removed the cover. I rarely use this saw and I had forgotten that the tire that keeps coming loose is also the drive belt. The tire goes around the wheel, and over to the pulley on the motor. If I did manage to glue it on, the motor wouldn't run. It looks like I have a little play left in the motor adjustment, so naturally that is the first thing to try.

Sorry for the false alarm, senior moment.

Rick P