PDA

View Full Version : Engraving on firearms?

Jay Selway
10-31-2014, 9:10 PM
SO, I like guns. And, as such - want to engrave zombies on my shotguns. Ceramark should work, right?

Bert Kemp
11-01-2014, 3:12 AM
:confused:What part of the gun are you engraving. Most people engrave the wood stocks and you don't use cermark on wood. At least I never heard of that. If your doing the barrel I'm not sure how cermark would show up on a black barrel. So I ask again what part of the gun are you doing , whats it made of and what color is it. If it has some kind of coating on it the laser will mark it.Cermark is usually used on plain bare metal.

Kev Williams
11-01-2014, 2:09 PM
If where you're engraving is stainless or un-pblued, regular LMM-6000 Cermark will work fine

If you're lasering a blued gun, You'll want some LMM-6150 Pearl White- it won't be "white", more of a light gray, but not bad. Be prepared for sticker-shock... ;)

Jay Selway
11-02-2014, 3:02 PM
If where you're engraving is stainless or un-pblued, regular LMM-6000 Cermark will work fine

If you're lasering a blued gun, You'll want some LMM-6150 Pearl White- it won't be "white", more of a light gray, but not bad. Be prepared for sticker-shock... ;)

Thanks Kev.

I'll check it out.

Bill George
11-02-2014, 6:34 PM
I have a "few" guns but I can't think of any I would want anything Zombie engraved on mine. I am usually trading and selling some and I think it would really hurt the resell value, maybe not for the right buyer.

Scott Shepherd
11-02-2014, 6:54 PM
I have a "few" guns but I can't think of any I would want anything Zombie engraved on mine. I am usually trading and selling some and I think it would really hurt the resell value, maybe not for the right buyer.

Bill, you might be surprised. I've been to two gun shows in the last month and you'd be surprised how many weapons are being sold as new with zombie something or other engraved in them. Brand new guns. I probably saw no less than 10 booths with something zombie related. They even sold boxes of ammo packaged in a zombie defense kit box. Honestly, I don't get it at all. Not even a little bit, but that's what I saw.

Mike Audleman
11-03-2014, 5:01 PM
Jay,

Given the fact you only are working with 50w, you aren't going to engrave any metal. You may be able to remove or bleach anodizing or other coatings but thats the extent of "engraving" you are going to get at that power level.

Yes, Cermark will mark gun parts. The 6060 series is black and will do fine on light (bare steel, stainless, etc) parts. As mentioned, there is a pearl white which shows as a mid gray on parkerized parts as well as blued parts and there is a metalic copper color Cermark as well. Be warned, white and the metallic is way expensive!

To get it to properly stick, first clean with a good solvent such as Hoppies #9. Then use pure denatured alcohol (from hardware store). Watered down (ie 70%) from the drug store as "rubbing alcohol" will work but not the best choice as its 30% water which does nothing to gun oils. The part must be absolutely positively oil free or the Cermark won't stick properly. I have found that a good 80s run in an ultrasonic cleaner with denatured alcohol with a squeeze of dawn works extremely well as a degreaser.

After marking, be sure to wipe it down well to remove the un-lasered cermark and re-oil as you would normally after a range day.

I tested a sample batch of LM-6060 against Hoppies #9. Remoil, Balistol and Hornady One-Shot. Nothing touched the Cermark so don't worry about it coming off easily during normal weapon breakdown and cleaning processes.

FYI, I have also used it to mark brass (LM-6060).
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=294930&d=1408168945