PDA

View Full Version : Jet Oscillatingl Edge Sander = 90 Degrees

Jim Eller
10-31-2014, 5:27 PM
Put my Jet 708447 OES-80CS, Oscillating Horizontal/Vertical Edge Sander together today and all seems well, except...............

Did some testing on some 2x2 stock with the belt vertical and when putting a square on the thing it is not 90 degrees. So, I fiddled and I fiddled with the thing and got it close. I don't see any positive stops to set so I guess I just lock it and leave it when I get it dead on. Hanging on to a 1.5 HP motor, a 40" sanding bed and a square while trying to reach for a locking arm isn't that easy for an old fella.

Those of you that have this machine, how do you set it? There must be an easier way. Do you leave the belt on while setting it or go right to the sanding bed with a square.?

Other than that one issue, it seems like a great machine.

Thanks for any positive input.

JimE

Jim Eller
11-04-2014, 11:45 AM
Am I the only one that has this sander??

Larry McCoy
11-04-2014, 12:21 PM
I have a non-oscillating model of that sander and you are correct, there is no stop for 90 degrees. I use mine with the belt flat nearly all of the time. A true 90 on a sander that is repeatable is hit and miss that may be why they didn't include a stop.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-04-2014, 12:21 PM
Jim,

I don't have one but check out this review. The reviewer actually installed a stop. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ36Smjrkc4

Bill Huber
11-04-2014, 12:23 PM
I would say you need to get a new square, the one you have must be off....:D

I really can't help you but I do know on my Ridgid sander I have it set to spot on 90° and if I don't watch it I will can screw up a 90° edge on it with putting the pressure on the board wrong.

Dave Zellers
11-04-2014, 12:42 PM
Try clamping a square to the miter gauge with the miter gauge locked to the table via the t slot and then push on the motor with your right hand and locking it in place with your left hand when it is 90º.

Dave Zellers
11-04-2014, 12:51 PM
Another frustration with that machine is there is no table lifting mechanism. A smart thing to do is cut some hardwood blocks 1" thick (or 3/4" is fine) x 2" x 3" and use those to slip into the guide ways as stops when you adjust the height.

Cary Falk
11-04-2014, 3:15 PM
Another frustration with that machine is there is no table lifting mechanism. A smart thing to do is cut some hardwood blocks 1" thick (or 3/4" is fine) x 2" x 3" and use those to slip into the guide ways as stops when you adjust the height.

Here is my solution for the table lift. Post #7
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?174596-Jet-oscilating-edge-sander-question&highlight=jet+sanderhttp://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?174596-Jet-oscilating-edge-sander-question&highlight=jet+sander

Jim Eller
11-04-2014, 10:12 PM
I knew theymust have sold more than one of these things.

Ken - Thanks for the link. Not sure I will make that addition rightaway but it is an option.

Bill - Thanks for the words of wisdom. I'm going to send that damn thing backto Starrett. How's that No 11 doing? I think he has friends nowthat hate the number 2 also.

Dave - I like that idea and the locking miter on the sander helps. I tookthe belt off the last time to set it and it is close to perfect now. Itwill probably be in the vertical position most of the time anyway.

Dave/Cary - I have cut some wooden blocks to use until I find somethingbetter but don't need to move it yet. Not a big deal but they(Jet) could dobetter. it's not something I will be moving often.

I have only done a few small projects but overall, I'm in the mindset of someother folks, Once you get it, you wonder how you did without it. Kind of like power windows and power brakes for those of you that can rememberwhen we didn't have those things.

Thanks to all.
JimE

Dave Zellers
11-05-2014, 12:02 AM
I knew theymust have sold more than one of these things.

:) Sometimes the forum, like many machines, needs a gentle kick ... in just the right spot.

Rick Fisher
11-05-2014, 12:14 AM
Try clamping a square to the miter gauge with the miter gauge locked to the table via the t slot and then push on the motor with your right hand and locking it in place with your left hand when it is 90º.

I had the Steel City version of the same machine and did exactly this. If you can dedicate a square, you can attach some lumber to one side, making it easy. Its crazy that there is not an adjustable stop to set up ..

glenn bradley
11-05-2014, 8:29 AM
Am I the only one that has this sander??

Oddly enough Jim, I only saw this thread this morning(?). Not sure why that is. I have this sander. It is not as feature rich as the Grizzly's, Vega's and what not but, the price was right for the time I got it and it has been very serviceable although a bit clumsy to change setup on. for the tilt, I use an angle cube (Beall in my case). I find it easier to watch the numbers than yo look sideways at a square while wrestling the assembly to a 90 and locking it down. I believe it was Bill Huber that came up with a method for handling their terrible table adjustment design. I don't have it handy but, you could search for it or PM Bill if this "feature" also annoys you. So, all-in-all no help here really. I have gotten a feel for the weight so that I do not fight it so much any more. I did add a larger table and adjustable fence which I find quite helpful. I also added a paddle so I can stop it with my knee.