PDA

View Full Version : Akeda $259.99 - Great deal or not?

Allen Bookout
07-14-2005, 12:54 AM
I have been watching the post about what dovetail jig to buy and you Akeda guys are so persistent that you now have me really interested. Some of you have pointed out the Woodcraft sale for the jig at $259.99 ($70 off).

Is this a good enough deal to go ahead and purchase it even though I am not really in need of it at this time or does it go on sale every once in a while so that I could pick it up later?

Now all I need is for you D4 or Keller guys to stear me in another direction. May be that would not be so bad as I could save some money for a while.

Thanks for any information! Allen

Kirk (KC) Constable
07-14-2005, 1:01 AM
The price of the jig is fine...it's the 'accessory' package that causes the problem...and briings the price up to a lot more than $259. I don't need the dust collector thingy, but I do need the bits...and Woodcraft didn't have them separately (yet). Look carefully at what you GET and what you NEED.

KC

Mac McAtee
07-14-2005, 7:58 AM
I got a personal problem with Akeda. It goes like this.

When that thing was in the development stages the makers had a web site. On their web site they posted a message that said that anyone who would pre-order the jig would be given a substantial discount off of the price when they went into production. I thought the thing was a very good idea. I placed a pre-order, with credit card information. The deal was your card would not be hit until the unit shipped.

I never heard from them again. That still bothers me and I will never buy one.

Allen Bookout
07-14-2005, 8:07 AM
I can appreicate your feelings. I got a lemon Pontiac with no support one time and will never have anything to do with them again. Allen

Jerry Bittner
07-14-2005, 8:26 AM
I got a personal problem with Akeda. It goes like this.

When that thing was in the development stages the makers had a web site. On their web site they posted a message that said that anyone who would pre-order the jig would be given a substantial discount off of the price when they went into production. I thought the thing was a very good idea. I placed a pre-order, with credit card information. The deal was your card would not be hit until the unit shipped.

I never heard from them again. That still bothers me and I will never buy one.

After my pleasant expereince e-maiing the president and inventor of Akeda, I'd be surprised that if you went to their site and got his e-mail address and explained what happened, that he would not rectify the situation for you.
Kevan Lear is the President --- kevan@akeda.com

Per Swenson
07-14-2005, 11:42 AM
Allen,

We have a leigh D4, with the complete set of leigh bits.

( you can also do a search on my comments about this issue)

We make a lot of drawers but not every day. Maybe 20 to 30

as a one shot deal every two months. What I am getting at is the

time between use. That exact amount of time it takes to forget

how to use the thing. This can be discouraging. So on the next

large commission we will be exploring the Akeda. Will we

keep the D4? Sure. But sometimes in the interest of profit

a less complicated system pays for itself faster.

Bottom line, I shoulda, woulda, coulda, this time I will.

Per

Allen Bookout
07-18-2005, 9:50 AM
The price of the jig is fine...it's the 'accessory' package that causes the problem...and briings the price up to a lot more than $259. I don't need the dust collector thingy, but I do need the bits...and Woodcraft didn't have them separately (yet). Look carefully at what you GET and what you NEED.

KC

Well Kirk you are right. Here is what I found out.

Just a note on the Woodcraft Akeda sale. The sale price of the DC-16 jig is $259.99 marked down from $329.99. On the surface that seems pretty good ($70 off) but it does not have any cutters or through dovetail pin guides other than 7 degrees. So to make it do anything to various thicknesses of wood you really need the universal accessory kit at $249.99 for a total of $509.99 or if you buy both together the total is $499.99. I did not check on shipping.

Then I went to the Woodland Tool Company and the cost of the jig is $329.99 plus $249.99 for the accessory kit for a total of $579.99 but if you buy both at the same time the total is $499.99. Free shipping.

So in reality the sale at Woodcraft is not a sale at all but just a sales gimic.

If there is something wrong with my logic let me know. Allen

George Summers
07-18-2005, 12:30 PM
Just something else to throw into the mix. I have heard that Akeda will be coming out with a 24" version this fall. If you buy now and really want a 24"er you will be disappointed.

George

John Lucas
07-18-2005, 5:15 PM
Let me interject some thoughts. I have known Kevan for several years now and I think I can add something to this thread. Yes, the basic kit doesnt do much without the accessory kit.
MAc, I do think you should call Kevin and talk to him about your situation. One thing about a small company is that you can talk to the number 1 person rather easily.
As to the wider version, I ask...how many blanket chests will you be making. I think it is one more wide jig that will fight for storage space I dont have. But I have done blanket chests with the original Akeda Jig...it was way easier than you might think.
We cheated and made in Akeda wide portions:
http://www.woodshopdemos.com/jess-1810.jpg

Here is page: http://www.woodshopdemos.com/jess-18.htm

Gene Collison
07-18-2005, 8:21 PM

KC

You can buy any of the consumables separately, including all of the bits and guides. You can buy as much or as little as you want to, I would try certainly try a different Woodcraft if you want to buy one piece meal.

gene

CPeter James
07-18-2005, 9:12 PM
I went to a Woodcraft store, bought the jig ($259), 3 bits ($17 each) and the dust collector ($29). That's it and I can make through and blind dovetails and box joints. The rest is "extras" you "might" need, not necessary.

I love it!!!!
CPeter

Gene Collison
07-18-2005, 10:04 PM
I went to a Woodcraft store, bought the jig ($259), 3 bits ($17 each) and the dust collector ($29). That's it and I can make through and blind dovetails and box joints. The rest is "extras" you "might" need, not necessary.

I love it!!!!
CPeter

I have had mine since January, my birthday month at Woodcraft. I bought the full accessory kit, most of it is unused at this point. I have used the 7* cutter to the point where I bought another backup thinking it may be getting dull. I have also used the oversize straight bit to loosen the joints a bit. I may have used one of the shorter cutters but essentially that's it. One thing that should be noted about the Akeda is that you can use the 7* cutter for material down to 1/4" if you want. The only negative is the DT won't be as strong and it won't look quite as good. For the most part, I am very pleased with mine, I sold my Leigh and never looked back. The dust collection and enclosed design with the router setting and sliding nicely across the top are nice features. After you use it a couple times, you can forget the manual, you won't need it.

gene