PDA

View Full Version : Balboa Framing

Mark Singer
07-14-2005, 12:45 AM
I have posted this home before....now it is well into the framing stage and I will construct many elements within the home. I am considering making all the full size doors and all the cabinets other than the kitchen and laundry. I may also make the hardwood stairs that are also steel.

These were taken today....we have about another month of framing . It has gone slow because of the structural steel.....there is an amazing amount for earthquake loads and being on a steep slope and high above the ground.

The framing and steel crews are well seasoned, know each other and work well together. My project manager is walking on steel beams 40 ft above the ground talking on his cell phone....Just another day!

Mark Singer
07-14-2005, 12:46 AM
more pics to see...

Earl Kelly
07-14-2005, 7:30 AM
Hey Mark, how is the recovery from the Landslide going. It's hard to comprehend the destructive power of nature sometimes. You have the earthquakes, landslides and widfires out there, here we have Hurricane central.

Looking forward to seeing more pics as the construction progresses.

Jim Becker
07-14-2005, 7:34 AM
Thanks for the update, Mark. It's finally in that stage where you can actually see the progress!

Keith Hooks
07-14-2005, 8:11 AM
What a gorgeous view! I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of the progress.

Brad Hammond
07-14-2005, 11:08 AM
that is just unbelievable!! great job!!!!

Kent Parker
07-14-2005, 11:09 AM
Nice to see that other people wear shorts to work too.

FYI: We just had a 7.0 quake this morning up near Cresent City (close to the Oregon boarder).

Having never made a large "full sized" door I was wondering how you plan to construct the joints between the stiles and the rails?

I recently bought a new front door and noticed that the stiles were two layers glued together, I assume to minimize movement. A bit more work but probably worth it.

I keep fantasizing about building double doors on my shop that open to the back yard where the two hugh fruitless mulberry trees produce soooo much shade. My shop attic fan sucks all that cool air right through the shop. Its like air conditioning. :)

KP

Mark Singer
07-14-2005, 11:23 AM
Kent,

If you can wait I will take lots of pics when I make the doors. The stile lamination is for warping.....3 layers is the way to go.
If the wood is stable like quartersawn or pattern grade Mahog....it is not necessary.
Loose tenons are the best joints with 2" penetration into each side...4" overall.

Nice to see that other people wear shorts to work too.

FYI: We just had a 7.0 quake this morning up near Cresent City (close to the Oregon boarder).

Having never made a large "full sized" door I was wondering how you plan to construct the joints between the stiles and the rails?

I recently bought a new front door and noticed that the stiles were two layers glued together, I assume to minimize movement. A bit more work but probably worth it.

I keep fantasizing about building double doors on my shop that open to the back yard where the two hugh fruitless mulberry trees produce soooo much shade. My shop attic fan sucks all that cool air right through the shop. Its like air conditioning. :)

KP

Bill White
07-14-2005, 12:03 PM
Mark, I just got a nosebleed from lookin' at the heights. Looking forward to more views of the project.

Kent Parker
07-14-2005, 12:23 PM
No worries, my shop doors will remain on my fantasy list for a while.

I have a small cabin in the Bear Valley area that is in need of a new "bear proof" door, if there is such a beast. I'm thinking about using Ipe with a "Z" style cross bracing. See if they can break that!

Going up there this weekend to take measurements.

Cheers,
KP

Jim Hinze
07-14-2005, 12:35 PM
That view is breathtaking....

John Miliunas
07-14-2005, 5:29 PM
Fantastic, Mark! I'm really, really looking forward to regular updates (and/or seperate threads) of the main and related construction. :) What a view. What a magnanimous task! But boy, what a view!:) :cool: