PDA

View Full Version : Jet Promos/Discounts?

Joe Pack
05-27-2003, 2:14 PM
I am in the "ready to buy" stage for a Jet 1442 lathe, but am waiting for a decent promo or discount offer. Do any of you know of one in the offing?

Kevin Post
05-27-2003, 3:59 PM
To answer your question, I don't know of any offers in the offing. :rolleyes: I don't think you'll see anything from JET in the way of discounts on these lathes for a while. (This is just my opinion...)

I have been wanting to see a JET 1642 for a while. JET told me they were to have shipped in October 2002 and I still have not laid my hands on one. I even went to a woodworking show in St. Paul, MN where JET was to have been an exhibitor just to get a look at one. I went home disappointed...

I haven't found a local dealer or anyone close by who has either the 1442 or the 1642. From what I've been told, JET has been slow to ship both and supplies have been limited. Since there doesn't appear to be a good supply, I can't imagine JET would be pushing them with rebates and incentives.

-Kevin

Bob Sheppard
05-27-2003, 6:44 PM
Ive seen the Jet 1642 lathe at both a trade show last January in N.J., and at a tool store in Grand Rapids, Mi. in March. It looks GREAT. I'm saving my pennies so I can buy one ( unless I decide I want/need some other tool first. So many tools to buy, so little time/money).

Joe Tonich
05-27-2003, 6:58 PM
Joe,

Have you checked Hartville Tool by you? They usually have the best prices around. If I buy something that costs, I check them 1st. Rocklers usually will match (or come close to) their prices and save me a trip as I'm an hour+ away.:D

Hope you can get a deal,

Joe

Jim Becker
05-27-2003, 9:37 PM
My local dealer has both the 14" and 16" Jet lathes on display, but my understanding is that supplies are constrained. I agree with the other comments, you'll probably not find a "deal" in any one place. But if you have a relationship with a dealer, you're probably better off as there are often "little things" that you benefit from.

Joe Pack
05-27-2003, 9:55 PM
I was able to see both the 1442 and the 1642 side by side last Friday at Woodworks in Columbus, OH. The 1642 is one slick machine, but just about twice the price of the 1442, which sells for $799 there. The machine I was comparing to, the Delta 3/4 hp. (model 56-????) sells for about $200 less.

The only thing I wish I could change on the 1442 is the motor position...it points toward the tailstock, and could conceivably interfere with some mounting possibilities. When the 6" face plate is installed, the face plate is about 3/8" in front of (to the right) of the end of the motor. Depending on the depth of both, using a vacuum chuck set up might be a bit of a problem.

The 1642 does not have this problem; the motor is mounted with the "end" pointing left, completely out of the way of any chucking set up.

Joe Pack
05-28-2003, 2:04 PM
Thanks, all, for the information.

I contacted my local Woodcraft dealer (buy local whenever possible), who has a 1442 on order since late March. I explained that I am going to be out of town in July/August, just when they have their Jet 10% off sale. The short version of the story is that he will give me the "sale" price now. I can't turn that down, so it is off to Woodcraft this coming weekend.

Just another example of building a good relationship with a local dealer.