PDA

View Full Version : Montblanc pen engraving

greg lindsey
10-29-2014, 3:15 PM
Do any of you out there engrave these pens, It's not in my normal routine, so i have no idea what to charge for this . Simple monogram work. Obviously, the worry is engraving 500.00 pens.

Neil Pabia
10-29-2014, 4:03 PM
I do the same thing for pens like that as I do for all electronics. I buy them for $1, do the engraving and then sell it back to them for the cost of the engraving plus $1. You may want to do a test run on a cheap pen of the same diameter first.
A one off piece requires a setup fee, if I was doing a few dozen I would wave the setup fee.

greg lindsey
10-29-2014, 4:06 PM
OK, Neil. It will be 30 of them.

Ross Moshinsky
10-29-2014, 5:10 PM
How do you know Mont Blanc pens are laser engravable? I assume you could probably put them in the fiber but I just did a quick google search and everything I saw was mechanically engraved.

Mike Null
10-29-2014, 5:53 PM
The most popular of the Mont Blanc pens is a resin material. It is engravable by laser and mechanically but not diamond drag. There are other models with metal caps that can be mechanically engraved. My recollection is that they do not have a brass liner as do some of the other brands so take care to make a shallow engraving.

http://www.montblanc.com/en/flash/default.aspx/#/customer-service/engraving

greg lindsey
10-29-2014, 6:08 PM
Some good info. Thank you. I get so busy that I admit I didn't even give it a thought that it may not laser engrave. I did get some info from the customer on the pens and it looks like all engraving will be on the caps and appear laser engravable. Still don't know what I think is reasonable, don't want to kill 'em, but there's still always the risk.

Mike Null
10-29-2014, 6:22 PM
Greg

I don't know what I'd charge either but it would be a lot more than for promotional or wood pens. To ease your mind a bit, the parts are replaceable though it may be inconvenient. Mont Blanc does not provide parts so I don't know the source.

You might give Colorado Pen a call to get an idea of engraving cost.

greg lindsey
10-29-2014, 6:39 PM
Thanks Mike, that's probably what I'll do.