PDA

View Full Version : sanding discs.

allen thunem
10-29-2014, 3:00 PM
been awhile since i have needed any but thought I would ask around and see where folks are buying their velcro sanding discs these days. I am well aware of vince and his product, but am curious as to what else is out there.
Never hurts to do comparative shopping from time to time .

Bob Bergstrom
10-29-2014, 5:01 PM
Try his new green ones?

Roger Chandler
10-29-2014, 5:36 PM
yep........+1 on the green discs........I got an assortment from him at our symposium back in september for a good deal. 25 each of all grits from 80-800 for about $36 if I recall.........the backing is mylar and the grit really cuts well and lasts longer than other discs. I have been very pleased!

Wes Ramsey
10-29-2014, 6:03 PM
Where can I find some info on Vince's discs?

Dwight Rutherford
10-29-2014, 6:08 PM
Here. http://vinceswoodnwonders.com/

allen thunem
10-29-2014, 7:28 PM
Yep like i stated i am well aware of vince and his products am more curious about other vendors, distributors etc etc.

Shawn Pachlhofer
10-29-2014, 7:36 PM
most "seasoned" turners I know buy from Vince or from Steve Worcester at www.turningwood.com

Joe Meirhaeghe
10-29-2014, 8:05 PM
The Sanding Glove is a great source with lots of choices too.

Justin Stephen
10-29-2014, 8:44 PM
How do the green discs compare with Vince's older blue discs? I am still working through a massive pile of blue ones I bought some time back but will eventually need to order more.

Lee Watermann
10-29-2014, 8:57 PM
I am finding the discs coming off, often,when inside sanding. I think the Velcro is too "fine". I also use the green and have had it come off and stain the wood green and it's hard to get off. Again this is inside sanding when moving around. The holders have course "hook and loop" and the discs is fine. I am unhappy with that. If someone puts out a courser disc backing I will be all over it.

Marty Tippin
10-29-2014, 9:02 PM
I just returned a batch of the small green discs to Vince because they wouldn't stay on the pad. He replaced them and my initial impression is that the new ones are somewhat more sticky but I haven't used them enough to be sure.

Never had a problem with the blue discs but also haven't used them extensively as many if you have.

Bottom line for me is I won't l order any more green discs from Vince.

Bill Bulloch
10-30-2014, 7:37 AM
There is also Klingspor (http://www.woodworkingshop.com/) If your club is signed up you can get a 10% discount on your order.

Michael Mason
10-30-2014, 3:45 PM
I am currently using Vince's blue discs, they are OK. The best I have used are the Green disc's from Craft Supplies. They are pricey, but are the best I have used.

Pat Scott
10-31-2014, 10:40 AM
I seem to always been on a quest to find the "best" sanding discs for the money. I've tried a bunch of different brands, and the ones that I like using (and have ordered more than once), are: Klingspor Stearate (light gold colored), and Norton A275 from the Sanding Glove. Klingspor Stearate is a little less expensive than A275, the performance of both is pretty comparable. It's a toss up.

The Sanding Glove also sells Norton Dry Ice which I've tried as well, but they are more expensive than Norton A275 or Klingspor. Dry Ice claims up to 3x the life, but I'm not sure if I can tell that they last that much longer. With the more expensive discs you are inclined to use them past their prime instead of throwing them away. It doesn't hurt so much to throw out an A275 or Klingspor.

I just received some sample discs from turningwood.com. He sells Mirka discs which are a good brand, I've used Mirka many times with my Random Orbit Sander doing flat work. You can order a sample of discs for FREE, including shipping, which is nice. Several times I've ordered $100 worth of discs to try a new brand, only to find out I don't like them. I haven't used the Mirka's yet, but my first impressions as far as flexibility are favorable. Price wise they are about the same as Klingspor and the Norton A275. I do get 10% discount on Klingspor orders through my woodturning club.

I have tried discs from Industrial Abrasives (group buy through my woodturning club), but do not like them. They are much too stiff, and the velcro on the discs doesn't seem to stick as well as other brands. I've also tried Vince's discs but do not like them either for the same reasons.

Prashun Patel
10-31-2014, 10:48 AM
The best ones I've used are the Indasa Rhynogrip white ones. I get them from 2Sand.com.

I find them to be better and longer lasting than the blue discs at the roughest (60-100) and finest grits (320-600) , where it really counts.

David Delo
10-31-2014, 11:49 AM
Timely subject for me. Been having trouble keeping Vince's green disks on the pad also. Going thru them like popcorn.

Dane Riley
10-31-2014, 1:47 PM
I don't see wave edge disks on the sites mentioned. It is to easy for me to cut a grove with regular round disks, and that is hard to sand out.

Justin Stephen
10-31-2014, 3:35 PM
Timely subject for me. Been having trouble keeping Vince's green disks on the pad also. Going thru them like popcorn.

There are three gravitational certainties in life:

1. A dropped cat will land on its feet.

2. A dropped piece of buttered toast will land butter-side down.

3. A sanding disc that comes off a sander will land in a pile of wood shavings.

Reed Gray
10-31-2014, 5:27 PM
Umm Justin, you forgot that a gouge or skew dropped off the lathe will land point first, which is one reason why I cringe when I hear about people turning in sandals.

I haven't had a chance to try out the green discs from Vince yet. I got a new knee about 8 weeks ago, and am about ready to get back in the shop. I haven't found anything that cuts better than the blue discs. Some that cut pretty close for durability and fast stock removal, but those that do are a lot more expensive. Some can cut as well for maybe the outside of one bowl, then they are done, and they are generally cheaper. Wave discs? Well tried them once.

robo hippy

Mark Levitski
10-31-2014, 9:23 PM
I've tried many kinds through the years and Klingspors stearate are the ones for the best value. I buy them by the 50. If the discs are coming off, inspect the hooks on the pad. They might be melted or worn.

Lee Watermann
10-31-2014, 9:52 PM
Justin, my green discs end up in my vac. Most brand new and not melted. they just don't stay on. I'm going to use them up and move on.

Roger Chandler
10-31-2014, 11:00 PM
To date, I have not had any of Vince's green discs come off the pad.......they really cut well and seem to last as well. I have used many of his blue discs and they were my preferred sanding discs. I have had green discs come off from other sources.......some were the wavy kind I got from Woodcraft, some gold colored ones with the paper back ...........I may have well have just used toilet paper because they flew apart immediately.

So far for me at least, Vince's green discs with the mylar back have served me well. I always use a backing pad as per his recommendation and wonder if some issues may be because some folks may not be using a proper backing pad? That may not be the case, but was just a thought for consideration.