PDA

View Full Version : iPhone App for using iPhone 5 w/ ios7 for access to Internet with laptop

George Bokros
10-29-2014, 11:31 AM
Looking for an app for my iPhone 5 running ios7 to use the phone to access the internet with my laptop. Also do not want my carrier to know I am doing so, don't want to pay for another device. I have a wireless card in the laptop but do not have a cell modem in the laptop,

Thanks

Brian Elfert
10-29-2014, 1:51 PM
The iPhone 5 already has this capability included and it is called Personal Hotspot. In settings you can turn Personal Hotspot on or off. Some carriers will disable the hotspot function unless you pay extra for it, but that is less and less common these days.

Jason Roehl
10-30-2014, 8:10 AM
PDAnet is one such app, but requires a jailbreak and alternate app installer. The free version only allows access to http websites, whereas for $30, the app allows access to secured sites and (I believe) ftp sites.

John Keeton
10-30-2014, 8:39 AM
We do not have land lines at home so no DSL, and we use our iPhone 4 hotspot for all of our online activity with the computer. Works fine, and other than our data plan, there is no extra charge. No app required.

Matt Meiser
10-30-2014, 8:50 AM
Doubt you are going to find an app that doesn't require a jailbreak.

My Verizon iPhones have all done this with no extra fee under the "everything" plans. I think it was an extra $10 back in the "old days" pre-LTE. Who's your carrier?

roger wiegand
10-30-2014, 8:58 AM
Don't need an app or to jailbreak, just turn on personal hotspot under the Settings menu.

George Bokros
10-30-2014, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the reply's.

Carrier is AT&T
I do have a data plan.
My phone has been jailbreak

I am under the impression to use the iPhone hot spot my carrier will charge me for added devices, I may be wrong but that is what i thought they told me when I upgraded to the iPhone.

Thanks again

Shawn Pixley
10-30-2014, 9:40 PM
As others use the iPhone as a personal hotspot. For our family on ATT, we have unlimited data on two iPhones. Mine (the third) does not have unlimited data but can be used for a hotspot for any number of devices. You need to know the details of your wireless plan. If all the devices hung off your personal hotspot are using a lot of bandwidth, you could have performance issues.

Yesterday, I was serching for WiFi on the train. I could see everybody else' hotspots. My point is that it works and to try it.

Jim Becker
10-31-2014, 5:10 PM
I believe ATT's rules are plans that are not the grandfathered "unlimited" can use the hotspot feature with no additional fees other than usage. Folks still on the grandfathered unlimited plans have to pay an extra monthly fee.