PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a BOSS laser machine???????

Jodi Sands
10-29-2014, 11:19 AM
Is there any one on here that has a BOSS machine????? I want to pick your brain!!!!

Jodi

Dave Sheldrake
10-29-2014, 11:35 AM
Wassup Jodi?

Boss are just rebadged Weikes so much of the stuff is the same (as is most chinese stuff)

cheers

Dave

Ross Moshinsky
10-29-2014, 11:57 AM
When buying a Chinese machine from a US reseller you're basically paying a premium for a few things.

1. Insurance. Buy from the US and something goes wrong you have legal rights.
2. Customer support. Theoretically you should be able to call them up and get help when you need it.
3. Quicker delivery time. From China will take a few months. From one of the sellers, it should be much sooner.

Boss Laser has only been around a few years to my knowledge. A lot of small businesses go out within 5 years. So keep that in mind.

Jodi Sands
10-29-2014, 2:16 PM
Well, I think they have fixed my issue. Basically it was been losing power dramatically. They replaced my power supply last week but it didn't resolve the issue. We did some trouble shooting today and have decided the laser tube has gone bad. My machine is still under warranty so they are covering it. The machine may be Chinese but their customer serviced is amazing. From software to this tube, they rock. We wanted to get an Epilog when we started the biz but just couldn't afford it. In a couple of years we will get one. I have only found a few things I can't do with it but I am happy with it and I couldn't be happier with the customer support.

David Somers
10-29-2014, 3:18 PM
Jodi,

Just curious what you have found you cannot do with it?

Dave

Jodi Sands
10-29-2014, 3:37 PM
Jodi,

Just curious what you have found you cannot do with it?

Dave

Well, one thing I haven't I been able to do is fabric. I can't change the PPI on it. I have done denim and canvas and it looks wonderful but I can't get it to stop "cooking". Half an hour after it's done, it has cooked all the way through and I have holes. Although, I'm hoping that the laser tube issue may have been there since the beginning as the machine is only 3.5 months old and when I get this new tube I can reduce the power enough to do fabric.

My fiancé has a Jet "something" (lol) and just bought a CNC router/carver that we haven't tried yet!

David Somers
10-29-2014, 3:40 PM
Ooooh. Don't people still pay big bucks for jeans with holes in them? YOu could be missing a niche market!! <Grin>

Hope the changes resolve that problem. This is silly, but have you tried watering the denim after you laser it just to stop any additional heat damage that might be continuing?

And a new CNC! Woohoooo! Got one coming myself. Between a new laser and a new CNC nothing will be safe.
A Jet? Hopefully a wood lathe!! You can keep him off the streets for weeks on end with one of those. I can attest to that!

Ron Philman
10-29-2014, 3:42 PM
Not 100% true Dave. I've done my own due diligence on a few laser companies 4 mos ago.
After a visit, Boss starts w/ their own mod design from Weike but then sources components/software/ from
U.S., CAN, Japan, China, etc. What Boss delivers is far from Gweiks stamped out machine.

"Boss are just rebadged Weikes..."

cheers

Dave

Jodi Sands
10-29-2014, 4:28 PM
Not silly!! I have actually thought about water or putting it in the freezer! When I get back up and running I'm going to try it! And the CNC thing??? He's a builder and he's looking forward to winter for the first time in like, EVER so he can stay in the garage for days!!! LOL

David Somers
10-29-2014, 6:41 PM
Well congrats Jodi! Let us know if cooling the jeans stops the damage. I was simply thinking about what happens if you burn skin, or cook food. The damage, in the case skin, and the cooking, in the case of food, continues for a fair time after you remove the heat source due to the residual heat in the skin tissue or food. That is why you are told to immediately cool down a burn on skin if it isn't 3rd degree. I was thinking the same thing might be true with fabric?

My wood lathe (A jet 1642) and my incoming laser and CNC will all be in the garage. I just added a heat robber to our furnace which is in the garage, so I have a duct available there right off the main feed to the house. So I can get some heat out there as needed without having to do electric or propane or something else. A robber is nothing more than a vent with a gate on it that gets cut into your main feed off the furnace. I didnt put a thermostat on it so I will get heat when the house gets heat. Probably enough to keep the garage in the 50's, which is dandy for me. I also insulated my garage doors which I can see has already made a big difference in the temp out there, even without the furnace running yet.

Dave

Jodi Sands
10-29-2014, 8:05 PM
Well congrats Jodi! Let us know if cooling the jeans stops the damage. I was simply thinking about what happens if you burn skin, or cook food. The damage, in the case skin, and the cooking, in the case of food, continues for a fair time after you remove the heat source due to the residual heat in the skin tissue or food. That is why you are told to immediately cool down a burn on skin if it isn't 3rd degree. I was thinking the same thing might be true with fabric?

My wood lathe (A jet 1642) and my incoming laser and CNC will all be in the garage. I just added a heat robber to our furnace which is in the garage, so I have a duct available there right off the main feed to the house. So I can get some heat out there as needed without having to do electric or propane or something else. A robber is nothing more than a vent with a gate on it that gets cut into your main feed off the furnace. I didnt put a thermostat on it so I will get heat when the house gets heat. Probably enough to keep the garage in the 50's, which is dandy for me. I also insulated my garage doors which I can see has already made a big difference in the temp out there, even without the furnace running yet.

Dave

Dave I'm just curious. Is that a Corgi in your picture???

Pete James
10-29-2014, 9:36 PM
No, that's Dave.

David Somers
10-30-2014, 9:53 AM
Woof!

<grin>

Hey Jodi! Nope. He is Poloka. He is an Australian Shepherd mix, though we aren't sure with what. The folks we got him from said he is an unregistered purebread, but my eyebrows are raised pretty highly at that thought. He looks like a fairly rare coloration of an Aussie I have heard called the golden. (not a mix between an Aussie and a Golden though) He is a terrific dog. Definitely rules the house. We have always thanked the stars he wasn't born with opposable thumbs or we would be in deep trouble.

Dave
PS....Poloka is Hawaiian for Frog. He was born and raised there. When he was a pup he would frog out on the floor with all 4 legs splayed out. So we named him Poloka, which stopped that habit almost immediately.

Ed Bath
10-30-2014, 7:23 PM
I have a Boss LS1630 that I purchased about four months ago. The support has been outstanding!

I'm new to laser engraving and have called tech support several times for problems that I created. They have always addressed the issues promptly and patiently. I highly recommend them.

Ed

Jodi Sands
11-05-2014, 7:02 PM
Hi there!!

I just wanted to let you know they replaced my power supply and it didn't resolve my issue so after some more trouble shooting, it was determined that the laser tube itself went bad. They replaced it, under warranty, and it's like a brand new machine!!