PDA

View Full Version : 'Nother WoodNet refuge here

Gary McKown
07-13-2005, 10:39 PM
Hello, Folks. Just signed on after lurking for awhile and noting that this forum seems to be less testosterone-laden, fisticuffs-ready, or "good 'ol boy" club type than some others and more of a learning/sharing experience. I see a few familiar faces from the 'Net and WoodCentral and lots more that I would like to get to know better.

Been at it as a hobbyist for more (well, a lot more) than 35 years, still a lot to learn about wood, tools, design ideas, techniques, etc. Hope to learn something and occasionally share an idea or opinion.

BTW, for those in the Southeastern PA area who don't know about it, some of us have started a Delaware Valley Woodworking Club (DVWWC) which meets every 2nd Thursday from 7:00-9:00 at the Downingtown WoodCraft. Next meeting tomorrow (July 14), subjects dovetails (all varieties), ideas for toys/projects for donation at Xmas, and any sticklers that need some group discussion. Everyone welcomed. Do a search over at WoodNet.net on DVWWC for more details, or just stop by and participate.

Hope to contribute to the discussions and get to know more of you folks.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-13-2005, 10:46 PM
Gary....Welcome to the Creek! Wade right in the waters fine! I'll warn you though we like photos! Did I mention we like pics?....Again....Welcome!

Ray Bersch
07-13-2005, 11:01 PM
Welcome, Gary - I have very close friends who live in West Chester, we all go to Chester County Day almost every year - sure wish I lived closer, I would love to join a woodworking club.

Ray

Bob Noles
07-13-2005, 11:08 PM
Gary,

Welcome aboard. I think you have come to the right place this time :)

Don't be a stranger, wade right in with questions and answers. We all learn from each other.

Von Bickley
07-13-2005, 11:13 PM
Gary,

Glad to have you with us at the creek. I'm sure you will enjoy visiting with us. :)

Frank Pellow
07-14-2005, 7:16 AM
Welcome to Saw Mill Creek Gary.

I learned a lot here since I joined a little over a year ago and I trust that you will also. There is a lot of material in our archives and the search facility here is reasonable (not great, but reasonable).

Alan Turner
07-14-2005, 7:18 AM
Gary,
Welcome to SMC. And, thanks much for the heads up on the new group. I will be there this evening. Your note is the first I have heard of this group. I look forward to meeting the other members. I have thought about trying to start such a group myself, and mentioned it to a few people who thought it was a good idea, but I had not yet gotten off of my duff, and am glad that someone else did so.

Jim Becker
07-14-2005, 7:35 AM
Welcome aboard, Gary!! 'Happy to have you getting your feet wet...

lloyd morris
07-14-2005, 7:50 AM
Gary,

Welcome to the Creek. I just came over from Woodnet Forums a while back myself. Welcome aboard!

Lloyd

lou sansone
07-14-2005, 9:11 AM
welcome to SMC

I believe that one of the positive aspects of this forum is the civility and decorum of the folks here. People in general try to build bridges rather than fences here. Once and a while people flare up or say something in a less than perfect way. But there is always the edit button, I have used it more than once.

regards lou

Bob Winkler
07-14-2005, 9:22 AM
Welcome and thanks for joining. As many have said, the attitude here is friendly, the people here are knowledgable, and the diversity of topics and projects always leads to new discoveries. It's a great place to visit often.

Seems like PA is well represented. I sure miss my home gowing up in Allentown and my college years at Villanova. ;)

Bob

Kurt Aebi
07-14-2005, 9:38 AM
Welcome to the "Creek", Gary,

The only thing to look out for here is the "Picture Police" (we have a lot of fun with that one! We love pictures of any project you do or even mess-up!

We go by the motto "If you don't show a picture of it, it never happened!" - it is always good natured ribbing here and there have been periods of tempers flaring, but that very few and far between and if you think someone is picking on you, by all means "PM" them and ask about it and you'll more than likely find it was meant to be funny, not hurtful.

There is a really great bunch of guys/gals here and we all welcome you as you will, no doubt contribute as much as you take from this group.

Welcome and HAVE FUN!

Aaron Koehl
07-14-2005, 9:50 AM
Welcome to Saw Mill Creek Gary.

I learned a lot here since I joined a little over a year ago and I trust that you will also. There is a lot of material in our archives and the search facility here is reasonable (not great, but reasonable).
Let's not forget www.sawmillcreek.org/google.php (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/google.php)

Jason Tuinstra
07-14-2005, 10:13 AM
Gary, welcome aboard!

Jim Hinze
07-14-2005, 10:20 AM
Gary,

Welcome. I very much enjoy this site, lurked at the other board for a while, but rarely post there for very much the same reasons you left.

Folks here are friendly, knowledgable, and most of all supportive.

Frank Pellow
07-14-2005, 10:31 AM
Let's not forget www.sawmillcreek.org/google.php (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/google.php)
That's neat Aaron! I did not know that it existed and I expect that a LOT of other folks don't know about it either.

Robert Mayer
07-14-2005, 11:33 AM
Enjoy your stay. I surf both forums regularly.

(...just dont ask which circular saw guide you should buy.)

Jerry Ingraham
07-14-2005, 12:14 PM
Welcome, Gary.
I agree with your sentiments and you'll feel very at home here. Looking forward to your input. Jerry

John Renzetti
07-14-2005, 1:24 PM
Hi Neighbor, Welcome to SMC. I'm not too far from you as I'm in Chadds Ford northwest side of Rte 1 and 202. Thanks for the info on the club. I'll check it out.
take care,
John

Gary McKown
07-14-2005, 1:37 PM
Thanks to everyone for the welcome. For the record, I do more surfing Monday through Thursday (Fri-Sun being shop and garden time), so hope no one feels ignored if it is a couple days before I respond to any goings-on.

Got the message about pics. ;)

John Miliunas
07-14-2005, 5:25 PM
Welcome to the Creek, Gary! I been around this puddle since the beginning and they haven't asked me to leave (yet), so that should be pretty good proof of their patience and graciousness!:D Come often, stay long and yes, don't forget about our lust for pictures!:) :cool:

Mike Mastin
07-14-2005, 6:12 PM
This is a great colection of folks that understand what the word humanity means and know how to use it :)

It is one of the best woodworking sites on the web with a wealth of gifted craftspeople ready and willing to lend a helping hand.

Don Baer
07-14-2005, 6:36 PM
Gary;

I fell into the creek a few months ago and find that by readng the posts I learn something new every day. It's has changed the way I approach some problems and allowed me to expand my limited talent. If you have a question of any sort post away and someone will come up with and answer. Sometimes you will expierance several solutions to the same problem and have a hard time choosing which one is the best.

Welcome

Terry Stapleton
07-14-2005, 7:10 PM

Wow. That just made this place even more useful than before. Thank you very much.

Terry

Richard Gillespie
07-14-2005, 7:53 PM
Gary;

Welcome, I think you'll find this forum much friendlier and more helpful then the one you mentioned. Though I'm not above going over to look, posting there is much like duck and run.

Anyway, as others have said, I have learned much here. I hope you enjoy.

Rick

Keith Foster
07-14-2005, 8:31 PM
I see a few familiar faces from the 'Net and WoodCentral and lots more that I would like to get to know better.Kinda an oasis - been known to play on the other board as well - although I try not to engage in the fist-e-cuffs! :D

John Hart
07-14-2005, 8:40 PM
Welcome Gary...looking forward to your 35 years experience. This is a great place to hang out!

Mark Singer
07-14-2005, 9:16 PM
Gary wecome and spend some time here with friends.....we were waiting for you!

Paul Engle
08-18-2006, 3:10 PM
Any one in the No. Ida area with salvage hardwoods for sale ( for turning blanks etc. ) please let me know. thanks

glenn bradley
08-18-2006, 4:48 PM
Welcome Gary. I hang out here for just the reasons you state. Lotsa good hearted folks here with plenty of sense of humor.

Chris Padilla
08-18-2006, 4:55 PM
Paul,

Welcome but you should start a new thread and not hijack a thread over a year old!

Chris Barton
08-18-2006, 4:58 PM
Hello, Folks. Just signed on after lurking for awhile and noting that this forum seems to be less testosterone-laden, fisticuffs-ready, or "good 'ol boy" club type than some others and more of a learning/sharing experience. I see a few familiar faces from the 'Net and WoodCentral and lots more that I would like to get to know better.

Been at it as a hobbyist for more (well, a lot more) than 35 years, still a lot to learn about wood, tools, design ideas, techniques, etc. Hope to learn something and occasionally share an idea or opinion.

BTW, for those in the Southeastern PA area who don't know about it, some of us have started a Delaware Valley Woodworking Club (DVWWC) which meets every 2nd Thursday from 7:00-9:00 at the Downingtown WoodCraft. Next meeting tomorrow (July 14), subjects dovetails (all varieties), ideas for toys/projects for donation at Xmas, and any sticklers that need some group discussion. Everyone welcomed. Do a search over at WoodNet.net on DVWWC for more details, or just stop by and participate.

Hope to contribute to the discussions and get to know more of you folks.

Welcome to the creek Paul! SMC is a great place full of wonderful people that like to have a good discussion and keep their sensibilities about them. Plenty of great mentorship as well.

John Kain
08-18-2006, 5:03 PM
Welcome!

I visit many sites, but this one is the only one that I really post in. Too many helpful and good-humored people here not to call this my woodworking home.