PDA

View Full Version : How often do you prototype before building?

Frederick Skelly
10-28-2014, 8:09 PM
When youre building something, how often do you build a mockup or prototype just to get the hang of it, or to confirm it will work out the way you think?

This came to mind because Im going to build a couple Mahogany end tables soon, and I plan to use mortise and tenon joints in several places. So, I think I'll make a few practice joints in pine just to practice the hand-cut M&T techniques. (I'm a hybrid woodworker.) But I wasnt planning to build the entire table before moving to the Mahogany. On the other hand, Ive also gone to the extreme of building a complete 1/4 size model of my workbench, just to think it through and develop the approach I used to fabricate the full size bench. (Gave the baby bench to a little kid when I was done using it. :) )

But prototyping takes time and money. So I just wanted to compare notes with you folks to see how often other people do it. And also to ask if there are other ways than prototyping to accomplish the same things?

As always, thanks for your help and insights.
Fred

Jim Becker
10-28-2014, 8:12 PM
I have done it a few times for "complex" things to work certain aspects out...like a chair.

For some other things where I want to be sure of the joinery, like the tables you mention, there's no harm in building the project in a more economical species of wood before you commit to the expensive stuff. It will be a usable piece of furniture in some other setting!

Charles Wiggins
10-28-2014, 9:22 PM
I've never done anything complicated enough to do a full mock-up, but I have done some method-testing of new joints and the like, much like you're describing.

Peter Quinn
10-28-2014, 9:25 PM
Almost never in a complete form but almost always in some way shape or form on every project. Usually I use poplar, MDF laminations, scraps, something cheap or free that mimics the actual results well enough. I just cut up a pile of dovetail practice corners I had laying around for years, was making some drawers with hand cut dovetails, pile of poplar corners got made. Sometimes I'll lay out curves on thin stock as a sort of test, could become a master template if it works, easy to discard if not. Throw in some full scale drawings or sections, works for me. I say do whatever works for you, don't feel stuck to one formula unless that is what works for you, feel free to tailor your approach to the project at hand.

Andrew Hughes
10-28-2014, 9:42 PM
I will build a test piece when the wood is expensive.And proportion need figuring out.I have better energy when I build if I have worked out some of the unknown.Aj

mreza Salav
10-28-2014, 9:53 PM
Never. In the past 1-2 years I've tackled more and more complicated things (for me at least) that either there was no way to build a mock up or simply I didn't have the time for. I usually don't even have a full plan when I start building and the numbers change as I go depending on how I feel things should be. The only time I made a full plan with measurements was for the cabinets that i'm about to build as simply there are way too many numbers to keep track of.

Dave Zellers
10-28-2014, 10:22 PM
Never for me as well.

Complicated projects are worked out in CAD. A 40 year relationship with my tools gives me the confidence to just press forward.

glenn bradley
10-28-2014, 10:35 PM
Not so much anymore. With computer programs so many details and differing ideas can be worked out in the virtual world. I did continue the habit probably longer than I actually needed to. It just felt comfortable.

Pallet wood to scale

Walnut

Pallet wood to scale

Ash

Mahogany reduced scale

Walnut

Jim Barstow
10-28-2014, 10:45 PM
3D sketchup models. This allows me to get proportions right from all angles. If I'm trying a new procedure, I'll try it out on scrap first but never built a real "prototype"

Phil Barrett
10-29-2014, 12:28 AM
3D sketchup models. This allows me to get proportions right from all angles. If I'm trying a new procedure, I'll try it out on scrap first but never built a real "prototype"
+1. A 3D model helps you work out both style/design issues as well as structural issues. It also helps me to think though assembly. Finally, I will present the design to my wife and get her input. That really helps to get her invested in my hobby.

Rick Potter
10-29-2014, 3:01 AM
Backfired on me. When our first grand child was born (now 26), I decided to make a nice rocking horse for her. I made a prototype out of scrap pine I had, with large knots and all. The wife loved it, and ordered, I think, 18 more which were made with much more care. Gave them to all the nieces, nephews, good friends, and one as a door prize for a charity.

Which one did the wife keep? The prototype, naturally. Why? She said "that one was the first one you made". It is still in our living room.

Any mockups I do now are MDF. I'll show her.

Rick Potter

Don Morris
10-29-2014, 3:19 AM
Depends, I'm not that good that I can count on myself to build a complicated piece or do some technique with which I'm not familiar without some sort of mockup. If I was using real expensive wood for sure, I'd do some sort of mockup first with real cheap stuff. I'll built a template when it's possible. My first attempt at a clock would have been a loss of a lot of good cherry if I hadn't built a mockup first. Took me a lot of time and some expense, but the result was so much better because it was a learning experience of techniques I wasn't familiar with. Although I must admit, when I built a large cabinet for LOML I was a little hesitant to build a mock up of that so I went charging ahead and did the final version from the giddyup. I was a little hesitant so I used a little less than the very best Maple on one of the raised panels. Now I wish I had used the very best Maple because it turned out fine and she loves it, but I know it would look a little better with better wood.

Matt Day
10-29-2014, 6:00 AM

+3...........

Shawn Pixley
10-29-2014, 6:40 AM
Sometimes. I last did it to figure out a curve on curve joint. Sometimes I build a practice piece (not a prototype per se, but a piece that allows me to be confident in the method. The last one was coopering. I will be building coopered and inlayed doors; so I practiced on a coopered box top.

Frederick Skelly
10-29-2014, 8:00 AM
Thanks guys! This is helpful to me.

Might be that Im going to have to learn sketch up as one more tool in my toolbox. But it sounds like the prototyping approach isnt uncommon.

Rick, Ive had the same thing happen - they love the prototype and wont let go of it. Funny how that goes, isnt it? Glenn, where do you keep all your pallet prototypes?

Have a good one!
Fred

Kevin Nathanson
10-29-2014, 8:24 AM
Sketchup for all (complex) design work, and prototype components (only) when I need to build jigs or am worried about tooling/precision, etc.

K

Dennis Aspö
10-29-2014, 9:32 AM
I'm planning to build a roubo workbench, I've done some sketchup work to help visualize it, but given the expense of the lumber alone I feel that a prototype on a smaller scale might be useful. I will use birch, the birch that grows this far north is from what I've been told, much harder than the birch you get down south and thus more suitable for this application. It's been a local traditional workbench material for centuries. I'd love some maple or beech for accents and to put on areas that will get more wear.

For the prototype I'd likely use pine and fir leftovers and I figure it will make a good toy for my sons.

I'll need to build a simpler workbench to begin with out of the same material, no prototyping for that, Matthias Wandel has a nice design I plan to adapt. I have only a table saw top right now that improvises as a workbench.

Steve Baumgartner
10-29-2014, 9:46 AM
Yet another SketchUp believer. Just as others have said, I find that I can work out the design details, even down to things such as how tenons intersect inside a leg, adequately that I don't need a mockup for that.

However, I have been bitten more than once by arrogantly assuming that my actual building skills are good enough for what I have designed :eek:. For a tricky assembly or a technique I don't do every day, I will often do a practice piece or two to get my hand and eye in shape. Also, there are situations such as many chair parts that benefit greatly from making a template and fitting it in place, then using it as a pattern to make the real one.

william watts
10-29-2014, 2:25 PM
We are in need of twin beds for our spare bed room. Here is a 1/4 scale prototype I made based on plans downloaded from the WWW. This was made of wood from the scrap pile. I made it to get an idea of proportions and dimensions. I can see from this model that I need to shorten the feet a little, reduce the overall length, and increase the width a couple inches. So I'm very glad I made this model. It was not made to test the joinery. Its all butt joints held together with CA glue and way strong enough to stay together, even the side rails are just butt joints. It was a quick build.

Ron Griffiths
10-29-2014, 3:36 PM
If the piece is going to be expensive wood and complex, I build a prototype. The prototype usually goes to one of the kids.

Prashun Patel
10-29-2014, 3:51 PM
I usually don't prototype the whole thing, but just parts, like a leg or a foot or a joint.