PDA

View Full Version : Duplexing paper to wood for laser.

Jay Selway
10-28-2014, 2:39 PM
So I've got a project I'm working on, where I want to duplex (glue) cotton paper to wood. On the cotton paper side, I'll be doing a letterpress print, and on the wood side, cutting a logo to show the paper on the other side. My question is this, do any of you have any experience with duplexing paper to wood? I want it to be a firm card, so I'm apprehensive about using veneer, but I think the paper backed veneer will adhere to cotton paper with your standard PVA glue.

Thoughts?

Here's the desired look: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dqor9o6syz71qc9/Screenshot%202014-10-28%2014.38.00.png?dl=0

Thanks!

Henri Sallinen
10-29-2014, 3:59 AM
I'd suggest a hotpress method where you place a thin film of douple sided glue between the materials. Then with the assist of pressure and heat you can bond the materials together very tightly. I've thought of trying this out myself but still the process seems a bit too painstaking to fulfill, even though I have all the machines and materials for this kind of job.

Mike Null
10-29-2014, 7:16 AM
I believe I would experiment with rubber cement on each surface.

Mary Geitz
10-30-2014, 10:09 AM
I've adhered wood to paper using either red tape or wood glue. Both hold just fine.

Jay Selway
11-03-2014, 9:34 PM
I've adhered wood to paper using either red tape or wood glue. Both hold just fine.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll give wood glue a try as well.

We actually got it to work pretty nicely with 2play walnut veneer and some watered down pot devin PVA. Looks great.