PDA

View Full Version : What type of 35 mm Euro hinge do I need?

Paulh Tremblay
10-27-2014, 10:00 PM
I've installed Eruo hinges before (and even have a decent jig from Rockwell). I used full overlay, and the doors align perfectly with the sides of the cabinet.

But for my new cabinets I want a 3mm reveal on all sides. I believe full overlay will give me no reveal (with the door aligning perfectly with the cabinet edge), but half overlay will give me too much. I'm pretty sure I need full overlay; I just can't picture how I will install them and get my reveal.

Also, for ordinary use, I believe I want 110 degree opening. The wide array of cabinet hardware can almost overwhelm.

Jamie Buxton
10-27-2014, 10:37 PM
You're not giving enough info. You want a 3 mm reveal, which is a distance from the door edge to something else. Where is that something else?

Let's presume you're talking a cabinet wall that is 3/4" thick (19 mm), and you want 3 mm of it to be revealed. That is, you want the door to overlay the cabinet by 16 mm. That overlay is the key dimension for spec'ing the hinge. Use a Blum straight hinge, 120 degree, a 0 mm plate height, and a bore distance of 5 mm.

Go to this page http://www.wwhardware.com/blum-120-clip-top-hinges-blum-120-hinges , and look at the two pdf documents.

Gene Davis
10-27-2014, 10:40 PM
Please just go to the Blum website and download their excellent documents. Absolutely everything you need to know is there. Everything.

Mark Kornell
10-27-2014, 10:53 PM
Peter,

The way you get your desired reveal is to bore the cup closer to the edge than you would without a reveal. The specifics depend on the thickness of your cabinet sheet goods. The carcase, not the doors.

Jamie's info was accurate if you are using 19mm material (i.e., a full 3/4"). If it is 18mm material, your bore distance is 4mm. This is with a 0mm hinge plate.

If you are using 5/8" (15mm) material, you need to use a 3mm hinge plate and a bore distance of 4mm.

There is a fair amount of adjustability in the hinges, so if your bore distance isn't dead on, you can easily accommodate.

Paulh Tremblay
10-27-2014, 11:24 PM
You're not giving enough info. You want a 3 mm reveal, which is a distance from the door edge to something else. Where is that something else?

Let's presume you're talking a cabinet wall that is 3/4" thick (19 mm), and you want 3 mm of it to be revealed. That is, you want the door to overlay the cabinet by 16 mm. That overlay is the key dimension for spec'ing the hinge. Use a Blum straight hinge, 120 degree, a 0 mm plate height, and a bore distance of 5 mm.

Go to this page http://www.wwhardware.com/blum-120-clip-top-hinges-blum-120-hinges , and look at the two pdf documents.

So overlay is measured in the amount that is overlayed, not the other way. That clears up some of my confusion. Now I see that the minimum reveal indicates the minimum distance between door and side of cabinet for the door to still work.

In fact, my door is 3/4'' thick, and I do want 16mm overlay. It seems that the standard 110 degree hinge with a bore distance of 5mm gets me what I want:

http://www.cabinetparts.com/p/blum-european-cabinet-hinges-BH71B3550