PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening a Skew (quick and dirty)

Tim Boger
10-27-2014, 3:19 PM
I'll admit it .... I've never learned how to use a Skew correctly, I do however use it while shaping the intricate designs of certain finials on the Ornaments I enjoy making.

So, as a quick method to sharpen I have got to thinking about the 3" X 18" belt sander I have ...... does one hold the tool with the cutting edge pointed into the moving belt?

Is there a concern of the edge of the skew cutting into the belt? That would be really ugly!

I know there are many websites delving into the "science" of sharpening .... I just need the dumbed up version for the time being.

Thanks,
Tim

Dan Hunkele
10-27-2014, 3:27 PM
Do it with grit running away from the tip just as your instincts are telling you.

Tim Boger
10-27-2014, 4:07 PM
Do it with grit running away from the tip just as your instincts are telling you.

Thanks Dan, I appreciate your feedback.
Tim

Dan Masshardt
10-27-2014, 6:29 PM
I hardly ever take my skews to the grinder. The diamond hone keeps the edge nice.

Tim Boger
10-27-2014, 7:12 PM
I hardly ever take my skews to the grinder. The diamond hone keeps the edge nice.

Hey Dan .... there is a huge difference between our skews I'm sure.

Over the next couple months I intend learn some basic skew usage and sharpening techniques. I've relied heavily on my bowl gouges, parting tools and scrapers and just in the last year have I began using several spindle gouges for the detail work.

All this is a result of success's and struggles while being self taught, seems I kept what worked and threw out the rest.

Tim

Dan Masshardt
10-27-2014, 7:15 PM
I use both but find the oval skew so much easier to learn and it's still the one I reach for. The regular skew has advantage in certain circumstances.