PDA

View Full Version : compressor enclosure filled with termites

Tai Fu
10-27-2014, 3:41 AM
I do not know what it is, could it be the moisture from the compressor, but when I took it apart I noticed it was completely filled with termites.

The enclosure was framed with pine 2x4 and MDF. Oddly the termite didn't eat the MDF but the 2x4 was completely eaten away.

Please make sure there's a way for moisture to escape when building a compressor box...

Mikail Khan
10-27-2014, 7:27 AM
Termites don't eat MDF.

Untreated pine is termite food.

MK

Tai Fu
10-27-2014, 7:44 AM
Well, to make matter worse, I burned the infested wood to cleanse it, and all it did was give me some terrible allergy... I think all these allergies I have been having might have to do with the termites too.

Bill Huber
10-27-2014, 8:54 AM
All I can say is call a good company and have the area treated.
When I had them they treated the house, inside and out and then put pine stacks in the ground. They would come by every week and check the stacks for a month to see if they came back, they didn't.
The little things cost me a bathroom rebuild.

Malcolm Schweizer
10-27-2014, 9:00 AM
Home Depot sells some stuff in a black bottle that is the best for killing termites. I would spray any adjoining wood with that. BEWARE- wear a good respirator with a carbon filter even if you spray a tiny amount.

Tai Fu
10-27-2014, 9:20 AM
Thing is the house is brick and concrete, so there are no structural timber in the house. I'm not sure the landlord will care

Bill Huber
10-27-2014, 9:54 AM
Thing is the house is brick and concrete, so there are no structural timber in the house. I'm not sure the landlord will care

There are not wood studs in the house, my house was brick and on a slab but had wood studs and they love it.

I had to remove 10 cf of dirt under the cast iron tub and then replace 6 studs.

Charles Taylor
10-27-2014, 10:03 AM

Termites, at least the ones we have in the southeastern US, sooner or later will eat anything they can find that's made from wood fiber--the paper sheathing of drywall, insulation backing, particle board trim, pressboard siding, anything. It was asserted above that they won't eat MDF. They may have a preference for solid wood when they have a choice, but they'll eventually go after anything they can find.

Tai Fu
10-27-2014, 10:27 AM
None at all, completely brick and mortar and rebars. Only timber is roof rafters. The roof itself is sheet metal. The only wood in the house are trims and stuff that is non structural.

Jamie Buxton
10-27-2014, 11:16 AM
Unless you're releasing compressed air inside the enclosure, I can't see why a compressor should make the interior more humid. In fact, it mostly gives off heat, which should make the interior of the box drier.