PDA

View Full Version : jet 1632 noise

joe zarnitz
07-13-2005, 4:58 PM
how much noise does it make---i have a slight rattle without anything chucked---when wood chucked it makes a clicking sound,which increases as the speed is advanced----possible a bad bearing---lathe is new --no use---tks,joe

joe zarnitz
07-13-2005, 5:03 PM
how noisy are they--mine is new--when i chuck up a piece of wood i hear a tapping or clicking sound---possible a bad bearing---tks,joe

RL Johnson
07-13-2005, 6:56 PM
I get a clickling noise from by Vicmark chuck. Found out that it is the little "buttons" where the allen wrench goes in. If I tighten both it sometimes goes away or is reduced.

Gary Max
07-13-2005, 7:27 PM
This is going to sound stupid-----the hole in the pully for the allen set---- holds enough air to cause a clicking sound---air gets compressed in the hole and the belt passing over it causes the click. That is the story a tech just told me---is it true??? ---heck it sounded possible.

John Hart
07-13-2005, 7:30 PM
I had the same fear with my Craftsman...but later figured out that it was the four-jaw chuck clicking. It's quiet now that the chuck ain't there.

Jean Holland
07-13-2005, 9:30 PM
I have a Jet 1442 and it is not noisy at all. In fact, it runs pretty quietly.

I have seen people use the 16" Jet at demonstrations and they were not noisy either.

Depending on your definition of noisy, I would say something's not right.

Rick Prevett
07-14-2005, 11:43 AM
I've had my 1632 for over a year and have not experienced the kind of noise you describe (except when I left the knock-out bar in the headstock - but you haven't done that, have you). I'd have it checked out.

Mike Ramsey
07-14-2005, 3:51 PM
I've left the knockout bar in before and it made that sound...My HF lathe makes so many different noises that if all of a sudden it was quiet I would really be worried! :)