PDA

View Full Version : sticks for tomato plants

Mike Stanton
07-13-2005, 5:01 PM
:confused: Can I use cedar or fir to stake up tomato plants? Thanks for any help. Mike

David Wilson
07-13-2005, 5:14 PM
Mike
I believe you can use either but cedar is more rot resistant and will last much longer. You will be lucky to get more than 1 season with fir.

Dave Dionne
07-13-2005, 7:20 PM
Mike

I have been using the same western red cedar tomatoe stakes for three years and they show no sign of weaking yet. Be careful what you use for material to hold them on though.

Hope this helps Dave

Frank Pellow
07-13-2005, 7:25 PM
Mike

I have been using the same western red cedar tomatoe stakes for three years and they show no sign of weaking yet. Be careful what you use for material to hold them on though.

Hope this helps Dave
I can top that. My western red cedar tomatoe stakes have been in use for about 20 years. I tie the tomatoes to the stakes with binder twine.

Steve Beadle
07-13-2005, 7:55 PM
I tie the tomatoes to the stakes with binder twine.
Old panty hose works great, too!
Is this off-topic, or what?? :)

Chris Padilla
07-13-2005, 7:56 PM
I once dug out the 4x4 cedar post holding up my folks mailbox in 1996; it was put there in 1975; looked fresh and new once rinsed off.

I put it back in very shortly thereafter and it is still holding it up today! :)

Dave Dionne
07-13-2005, 8:21 PM
I finally have a supplier for WRC in my area, I am on vacation next week so I think I am gonna try a couple of Muskoka chairs out of it. Next year I have lined up 1000 bd ft of Maine white cedar for under a $1.00 per bd ft.

Frank Pellow
07-13-2005, 9:47 PM
Old panty hose works great, too!
Yes, I use that sometimes too. In fact, I tied up some plants with strips of old panty hose last weekend.

Dave Dionne
07-13-2005, 10:16 PM
Thats what I use also, also use it to support some melons that are growing, (ok this is getting to be to much like a Victoria's secret ad):D

Dave

Mike Stanton
07-13-2005, 10:42 PM
I already have some tomato plants with wire but today I was at store and got a big yellow tomato plant. Thanks for the help. Mike.

Bill Neely
07-14-2005, 1:10 AM
Having used wooden stakes for the past 30 or so years, last year I bought some Texas Tomato Cages. This year I bought more. :)

Frank Pellow
07-14-2005, 7:10 AM
Having used wooden stakes for the past 30 or so years, last year I bought some Texas Tomato Cages. This year I bought more. :)
I use cages as well, but I find that I still need to stake most plants. Most of my plants are both staked and caged.

Right now there are 26 plants and 8 different varieties of tomatos in my garden and, because of the very hot summer that we are having, they are doing very well.