PDA

View Full Version : router questions, with a router tabler question

cody michael
10-25-2014, 9:16 PM
I have 2 working routers a porter cable and a craftsman, I also have a router table that goes with the craftsman router (currently used as chop saw base, but I bought a RAS to replace this setup), okay I have never used the porter cable, bought at garage sale for like 5$. I think that the craftsman has better height adjustment, which one would be better set up as router table? what are the pros and cons, I would plan on using one in table all the time and one for other uses.

I also have a ryobi and it seems the height adjuster is broke and it is jammed I will attach pictures, is this ruined? is there some use for it? is it worth fixing/easy to fix?

thanks

Johnnyy Johnson
10-26-2014, 1:53 AM
I would use the one with the most HP.

Rick Fisher
10-26-2014, 2:49 AM
If you like using the Craftsman by hand, the PC will do fine in the table. You have a PC 690 which is an extremely common router and a proven performer. I have a 690 which is used in a table and it works just fine.

The Ryobi, I have no idea. Never owned one.

Rick Potter
10-26-2014, 3:17 AM
PC 690 is a great table router. I built a whole raised panel kitchen with one a few years back. Keep the keyways clean and lubed and it adjusts just fine.

Rick P

cody michael
10-26-2014, 12:13 PM
TThanks for the suggestions, I will have to try out the Porter-Cable and see which I like better.

Any ideas on ryobi?

Ray Newman
10-26-2014, 2:37 PM
The PC 690 is a proven tool, esp. the older made-in-the-U-S-of-A units. Mine just keeps on going.

Since the PC was a garage sale special, I would pull the brushes and check for wear and blow out the "innards" with compressed air. 'Ya nevva' know how much use and abuse it has seen and a bit a preventive maintenance goes a long way.

Even if your router table has dust collection attached, I would suggest blowing out the router when the projected is completed. Same holds for other portable tools. I found that it improves and extends the useful life of the tool, despite what my tool repair center says.

As an aside, at one time PC made a 3/8" collet for its routers. Very handy accessory, especially for those of us use who utilize end mills for woodworking applications.

Dave Kirby
10-26-2014, 2:57 PM
The one with the highest HP should be the one you put in your router table. Otherwise it will be an exercise in frustration...and with a 1-1/2 HP router it would be for sure!