PDA

View Full Version : solution for carraige bolts in wood

Charlie Fox
10-25-2014, 10:53 AM
i have seen past posts looking for a way to keep carraige bolts from spinning, especially in softer woods. i was amazed that the "prong" or "torque" washers were not easy to find, and where i did find them they were only up to 1/2" and i needed 5/8". plus i needed black since i am using antique bolts that are black oxide. a few places carried round washers with square holes, but all were plated and round does me no good. i was also stunned that it was so hard to find square hole square plate washers - i could chisel out a square in the wood and that would anchor the washer - but again size was an issue and the only ones i could find were in the UK.

so i came up with an idea that i am sure someone else has done before but at least i thought of on my own - and thought i would post it for future reference if someone has this issue years down the road and finds this in a search - i just cut some carbon steel off a piece of scrap angle iron, chiseled out a matching hole in the wood tangent to the hole, hammered it in and voila - done! the shoulder of the carraige bolt is firmly held on one side. now i am building a rustic piece so i was not worried about looks - i want it looking old and hand made - but for nicer pieces just take more time and do it more accurately. i really like the effect as it is and it fits perfect with the antique wood and bolts.

298962 298963

Mark Bolton
10-25-2014, 12:05 PM
Seems like a decent solution for sure. I have found malleable washers wich square holes and they often have a small hole in them for a tack so they wont spin.

I have always found that if the hole is drilled for a drive fit of the carriage bolt the material itself will hold the bolt from spinning. Im not sure how tight your having to run the bolt but it doesnt seem too tight as even in hardwood the head would crush into the material without a washer.

In soft woods I just use one size larger washer on the head end of the bolt. The square shoulder usually keys into that washer slightly and the friction between the washer and the material resist spinning enough to tighten it up. If not I suppose you could drill a small hole in the washer for a tack.

The black is definitely and issue for me as well. I have had a hard time finding reasonable (price) large fasteners in black. Usually wine up blacking them myself.

Nice fix. May even be cool with a bit more of the steel slug protruding from under the head.